A Low Flow Fluval U1 Mod

loadedsith

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Graham
Got my Fluval U1 in the mail yesterday and i've already hacked it up. Following the great tradition already well established here on caudata, I used a filter sponge.

I cut various chunks out, creating a shape which covered the water flow on all sides, except top. Essentially channeling out a cavity for bubbles and to increase the surface area of the sponge.

I then clamped the channel back together, resulting in a hollow center triangle. I then placed the modified sponge up to the filter and held it in place behind the "venturi" valve.

FluvalU1LowFlowMod1.jpg

FluvalU1LowFlowMod2.jpg

here my hairy hand is holding down a blurry sponge, so you can see the cavity, which increases the throughput of the filter, without adding significantly more water disruption, thats the idea anyway.

FluvalU1LowFlowMod3.jpg

This is it on, which is useful I suppose.

IMG_5569.jpg

IMG_5570.jpg

Curly gills = stressed axolotls. I hope the water flow is minimised enough.

Unfortunately their gills were curled before the filter arrived, they seem to be relaxing now, but it has been a scary 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Hope your axolotls are doing good now, great pictures.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back