Question: Type of plastic safe for my slimy buddies?

Anibanani

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have heard that there are plastics that may leak chemicals into water after time that could be harmful to axolotls. Does anyone know of any to look out for at all? I often use small shoe box sized plastic tubs to store my buddies in. I am actually relocating to a different state in a few months and my axies will be in these small tubs for about a day and a half until we reach our new home, I don't want to use a plastic that will harm my babies at all. I know it might be an odd thing to ask but it wont hurt to know, cuz I luvs them! :love:

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. If you're using containers made out of hard plastic, which are meant to store food, you don't have to worry. Tupperware and such are good.

Thank you! Just wanted to make sure I make their trip as stress free as possible! :happy:

I have an ornament in my tank for my two axolotls which was an action figure. We left it in the water while it was conditioning, and none of the paint seemed to be coming off. Its a fairly hard plastic but is there any way to tell whether it will put chemicals into the tank, or is it better if I just take it out?

I think(of course I dont know 100%) that if its not meant for a fish tank then chances are it will leak either paint or some type of chemical after time soaking in water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back