Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Article: Amphibian Medicine - Low temperatures sometimes work wonders; your input needed

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Hi All,
Please check out: Amphibian Medicine – Cold “Resurrects” Hellbender and Sick Frogs

During my years with the Bronx Zoo, I have twice observed cold temperatures to revive salamanders (a Hellbender and a Greater Siren, please see photo) that seemed, by external appearances, to be quite dead. A recent paper caused me to think back on these events, and to other examples of low temperatures being used to “treat” ailing Axolotls, Leopard Frogs and other amphibians …I would greatly appreciate your own observations and thoughts on this topic. Read article here: Amphibian Medicine - Cold Resurrects Hellbender and Sick Frogs | That Reptile Blog
Comments and questions appreciated

Thanks, Frank

http://twitter.com/#!/findiviglio

Frank Indiviglio | Facebook

Bio: That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Interesting reading!
I had success with refrigeration when one of my A. opacum got impacted with waxworms. I believe she would have died otherwise. (This is what I posted about it: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...gots-etc/78715-waxworms-causing-problems.html)

Thanks very much...I checked your post and found it very useful. Waxworms have been reported to have thick exoskeletons that contain more (or thicker?) chitin than similar insects. As some responders have noted, some individuals take them w/o incident, but perhaps safest to avoid, as there are so many variables (health, other meals, etc) involved.

Very interesting to read of your experiences with refrigeration...Ive made a note and will pass along to others when needed, thanks, best, Frank

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Fridging axolotls is a common recommendation around here. So common, we have a tutorial!

Thanks Kaysie...great info; I've asked my blog managers to add a link to it under Further Reading, best, Frank

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1