Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Life-long Amphibian-phile from the States says hello.

DJ Argo

Reaction score
Hello Everyone.

Looks like I've come to a great corner of the web-world. I am a life-long naturalist with a special interest in Amphibians, especially salamanders. I have lived across North America in Canada (Alberta), Pennsylvania, Texas, Maryland, Minnesota, North Carolina, and now Indiana. Professionally I am a Microbiologist, but I have been doing some work with my research here in Indiana monitoring the Chytrid fungus locally with my undergraduate students. I am also a serious nature photographer, I have been for almost 20 years.I greatly appreciate finding amphibians in nature and then leaving them alone.I keep life-lists of amphibians (as I do with other vertebrate organism) and can claim to have seen some where in the neighborhood of 50 species.

Just to give you a little more understanding of my passion, as a kid in Canada I was called 'Soggy Froggy" because I was so good at catching frogs in the local ponds. (Catch and release).I have the distinction of saying that I was once saved from serious injury by the endangered species, the Houston Toad...but that's another story.

I will be in Southern France in early June (near SE of Bordeaux and near Tarbes) and would greatly appreciate (off-forum if that's appropriate) herping locations within 100 km of those locations that are good herping locations. I am especially keen to find Salamandra salamandra as I would really love to photograph this lovely species in the wild.

So Merci, Danka,and any other greetings that are appropriate for permitting me to join this community. I look forward to reading through the posts here.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! It's great to have people with experience here, and we especially love pictures. Feel free to post as many as you want in the galleries!

So the question becomes... what's your favorite species?

DJ Argo

Reaction score
I would say my favorite species is the one I haven't found yet in the wild. So in North America that would be Green Salamander and Helbenders (I've looked for both). In Asia it would be either of the Giant Salamander species, and in Europe the Fire Salamander.

That said of the species I've found in the wild, Tiger, Cave Salamander, and Red would be near the top of my list.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!