Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Optimum Temperature

watertiger21

Reaction score
I've researched that the range of temperature for axolotls is about 58-68 Fahrenheit (14-20 Celsius), but is there an optimum temperature?

I'm worried because, at room temperature, my tank is sitting at 57-60 degrees (14-16 C) all the time... And it's usually closer to 58 (14 C). Is this too cold? :confused:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I've had my tanks accidentally skim over with ice, and they were happily swimming around under the ice, watching me.

I don't recommend letting your tanks get that cold (I accidentally left the window open overnight). But they'll function just as they should at that temperature. Keep in mind that they come from higher elevation glacially fed lakes. They like it cold.

Chicabelle

Reaction score
My tank sits at around 12.5 most days and my two are fine. The tank is in a window bay and when the sun shines (which is rare I know) the water temp rises to about 14 at most. They do become a little bit more active when it warms slightly but I don't think they mind it a bit chilly...well they haven't complained yet :D

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Also, having a steady temperature is better than having a tank that wildly varies in temperature.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1