Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Something wrong with larvae?

forester

Reaction score
The first three pictures are of the curved larva with the red spot. It was fine yesterday afternoon, but last night I noticed it was curving so I took a picture (picture three) and this morning it appears bloated and isn't moving well.

The fourth picture is of a larva that appears to be less developed than the others. It seemed to be fine though, not curved and swimming, until this morning when I noticed that it twitches almost like seizing.

The other five seem to be fine. They are swimming around and chasing brine shrimp.

Attachments

• IMG_2064.jpg
    IMG_2064.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_2068.jpg
    IMG_2068.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_2063.jpg
    IMG_2063.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_2057.jpg
    IMG_2057.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 215

xxianxx

Reaction score
A kinked tail may be a sign of stress in axolotls, however if the rest of the larvae are feeding and doing fine it is probably a problem with that particular individual, not all of the larvae that we hatch are viable. Sorry I cant advice you on a cause or treatment, you may just have to let nature take its course and see if it survives.

hacelepues

Reaction score
There were 3 hatchlings in my clutch that were born looking like your "curved" baby. They couldn't swim properly and I euthanized them. You say he was normal to begin with... so I don't know what could have caused it.

When did they hatch?

forester

Reaction score
They started hatching on Monday, and the curved one either hatched early yesterday or late the night before. Both the curved baby and the premature looking one are no longer responding to stimuli, so I'm not sure they are even alive. Even this morning they moved when other larvae touched them, but not anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

forester

Reaction score
Now quite a few of them are seizing, and I'm not sure any are eating now. Does anyone know what's going on?

binkiesbuns

Reaction score
I'm so sorry your having problems :( One of my larvae developed a bloating issue and died shortly afterwards along with a few tiny ones that appeared underdeveloped, saying that I do still have one of the tiny guys who at 4 months old has ony just developed his back legs and is only an inch long! I think some larvae just aren't genetically equipped to survive so don't beat yourself up about a few casualties.
The fact that more are developing twitching issues and have stopped eating now though is cause for concern.
Have you checked the water quality? Do you rinse the bbs before adding and remove waste soon after? Could the water have become contaminated in any way? x

forester

Reaction score
I'm quite careful about the water, so I don't think it's that. I've moved them to my boyfriend's apartment in hopes that it will be a better environment as a last ditch effort. This is her first clutch, so I was expecting trouble. I just didn't realize how bad it could be.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1