Question: Do some axolotls have white flecks?

K1TTYx

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got this axxie from a reptile expo vendor this past weekend. I didn't notice til I got home that the axxie has some white spots. I'm not an expert at all with these critters so I did some research and the only thing I could find was it could be fungus so I emailed the person I got it from. He responded saying that the markings were natural and that some gold and white axolotls have white and gold flecks and spots. Is this true? I actually have no clue if this would be considered a gold or white. I should have thought to ask more questions while I was at the expo but it was extremely packed there. I don't want an illness to go untreated so any advice is great!

The photos attached were taken BEFORE I removed the rocks. I had read it was ok to add rocks large enough that they aren't able to swallow but was told these would be to small at least in the future if not now. Plus his food falls between the rocks and I don't want him to get caught in between them.

One other thing since I'm already thinking about it. Is there really any way to know how much to feed these little guys? I'm afraid to over or underfeed it.

Attachments

• axxie1.JPG
    axxie1.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 486
  • axxie2.JPG
    axxie2.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 486
Re: Do some axolotl's have white flecks?

I'm not experienced enough to give you a confident answer regarding the white spots, but I do have a couple of questions that might help in sorting it out. Are the spots "fuzzy" at all? Sort of like strands of cotton ball? Also, are they shiny? Do they seem to shift color in the light when you look at them from different angles?

Golden axies can be quite speckled though:

2620.jpeg

As for feeding, it's going to depend on your axie's size. Mine are both around 3.5 inches and I'm still feeding them every day. I give Gir as many blackworms as he'll eat in 10-15 minutes, and Piggy as many as he'll eat in 5-10 (Gir is a much more delicate diner than Piggy, who wolfs down anything that moves in mighty gulps and then begs for more). As I understand it, the rule of thumb is that the axie's stomach should be roughly the size of its head - if its stomach is slimmer, feed more; fatter, feed less.

Lastly, as a friendly word of warning - be prepared to become obsessed with how much it poops as well. ;)

I'm not experienced enough to give you a confident answer regarding the white spots, but I do have a couple of questions that might help in sorting it out. Are the spots "fuzzy" at all? Sort of like strands of cotton ball? Also, are they shiny? Do they seem to shift color in the light when you look at them from different angles?

Golden axies can be quite speckled though:

2620.jpeg

As for feeding, it's going to depend on your axie's size. Mine are both around 3.5 inches and I'm still feeding them every day. I give Gir as many blackworms as he'll eat in 10-15 minutes, and Piggy as many as he'll eat in 5-10 (Gir is a much more delicate diner than Piggy, who wolfs down anything that moves in mighty gulps and then begs for more). As I understand it, the rule of thumb is that the axie's stomach should be roughly the size of its head - if its stomach is slimmer, feed more; fatter, feed less.

Lastly, as a friendly word of warning - be prepared to become obsessed with how much it poops as well. ;)

@ weofui The spots do not appear fuzzy at all.. I don't think they appear shiny either. He's doing well otherwise. He's very active and eats well. JessKB mentioned the coloring is fine though. They poop a lot? :eek: Oh man! Their cuteness makes up for it! Mine eats like a little monster as well. Plus when I got him he was just a little pink thing and now that I've fed him I can see that his belly has a darker color like it's the food I'm guessing. Since they are kind of transparent almost. I would say my little guy is about and inch and a half to two inches? I'm not really good at guessing the length.

@JessKB I am feeding the salmon pellets I purchased at the expo. I have been feeding once a day by hand.. or rather with a forcep tweezers since it's easier for him to get the pellets that way. The pellets obviously just sink right to the bottom and I didn't want to just leave them to become mush if he doesn't find them so that's why I've been feeding by hand. I also was unsure if he would be able to find them if I just dropped them in. I just feed a pinch basically. I was worried about over feeding since I could see it looked like he had a full belly. I'll take a look at the links you provided as well. Thank you! Also, thank you for the coloring information.

My young golden axie is plastered in white flecks and like you the first time i noticed them i was worried but no that is completely normal.
If you look at the golden axie used on the illustrationon the Axolotls link at the top of this page i am sure yours will look very much the same.
When you see them with a light on it is most noticable. As far as I can tell when it is fungus it also effects the gills and then looks more like little very small cotton wool deposits on them.
Mine eat earthworms the best food and can tackle a reasonably large worm, i am a non cutting worm axie mum as i have done it but hate to do so.

I remember your other thread. :D

Your axolotl looks normal and really pretty ! They shiny/sparkly flecks are called "iridophores".

For feeding, just aim to get the body as big as the head in width. I always have the "how much to feed" panic with a new species, but have to remember that it's a little trial-and-error. You just have see how much they want to eat - if they look like they're too skinny, feed more. If they start getting fat, stop !

At 1.5-2", I wouldn't feed a whole nightcrawler. I would cut it into pieces if I was going to feed that. My axolotl is about 7-8" long now and I still cut her nightcrawlers in half. I don't like doing it, but she sometimes struggles even with a particularly long half. For 2", I'd imaging you'd have to cut into 8 pieces or so ? Maybe. Depends on the worm, I'm just guessing.

Also, blackworms are a great feeder for the little ones. I used a little syringe and would have them half-squirted out in front of her and she'd see them and smell them and chomp them up - leaving little mess. Some people feed using a bowl or a sideways cup to reduce mess.

tumblr_lz859yxw771qk43ago1_500.png

If the spots are like that, that is normal.

My Wild coloured Axie has Gold flecks on his feet and tail, they're pretty awesome,

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back