Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Need some advice please!

Ace94

Reaction score
Hi,
I need some advice on my 18yo Axolotl. 3 weeks ago I came home to find her upside down on the bottom of her tank. I took her to the vet but she doesn't have any experience with Axolotls. I am a Radiographer so I took her to work and xrayed her - she hasn't eaten any stones. She does look a bit bloated but hasn't brought up any boluses. I have taken advice from here and have been keeping her in shallow water in the fridge but now she is very tilted and unable to stay upright even in the shallow water. Help please, I have no idea what to do now!

Last edited:

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Could you confirm that she is 18 years old? and if possible post a picture of her and her tank? What sort of temperature has her water been lately?

Ace94

Reaction score
I can confirm she is 18years old, I have had her since 1994. Nothing about her environment has changed, she has been in the same tank with the same stones, driftwood and plant for years. I thought temp maybe an issue, however after 2 periods in the fridge, the latest being over a week, she is worse not better. X-rays revealed no stones or tumours etc.

Attachments

• P4283210.jpg
    P4283210.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 176
  • Ace-PA.jpg
    Ace-PA.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 155
  • P4283212.jpg
    P4283212.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 155

iheartaxie

Reaction score
As far as I know, eighteen is a very old age for an axie...they don't normally live so long in captivity. Can I just ask, looking at the pictures she has only stumps for gills...how long has she been like this? Do you check your water parameters?

Ace94

Reaction score
I know 18 is old, however a guy I know has one who is 27!! Her gills have been like this for quite some time, I believe they have atrophied due to age and living in a very oxygenated environment. Does anyone have any advice please?

Star

Reaction score
Only thing I can suggest is looking on Herp Veterinarians and hope there is one within reasonable distance! If not you could always phone one and see if they can help

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1