Too much poop

arenaboy007

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
So I released one of the young axolotls in my isolated tanks in the main display tank,
and it's already making a lot of mess in the tank. I don't have any decorations yet,
I can imagine how hard it would be when it's fully decorated! How do you guys keep
up with so much poop? I mean I just can't siphon it out everyday, it's like making water
changes everyday, because when I siphon the bottom it could take up to 25% of the tank water.

I guess this is the only laborious task an axolotl keeper has to do.
My only problem with the turkey baster is by the time I get it to the bottom,
it's already half full, making the suction ineffective. Also when I get the decorations up,
do I have to take them out when siphoning poop?

Squeeze the bulb, put the baster in the tank, and keep it squeezed until you get the tip to the poop, then release.

It's good practice to move things around and suck poop out from under them. Poo dust will collect under them.

I have live plants, and they just stay in the tank. I just rustle them up a bit and rub gunk off them when doing a big clean on the tank. For fake plants, you might rinse them off if they're starting to look grimey, but it shouldn't be too often. I'm sure someone has better advice, I didn't have fake plants very long before I switched.

If you're going to have a sand substrate, it's good to pick up things like rocks or caves every once in a while and stir up the sand under them so you don't get waste buildup in there.

For the baster, try compressing the bulb before putting it in - then letting it fill up once you're hovering over the Dreaded Poop. If that doesn't work, you might need a better-made turkey baster, because it's probably leaking where the bulb meets the stem. :eek: I wonder if hot-glueing it would work to keep the seal.

Personally, I've found them to be a pain in the rear. It's a glorified electric turkey baster. Go buy a new baster for a couple dollars. Remember, the more parts it has, the more that can break or go wrong with it.

Hot glue as a repair only works for a little while then the seal goes again but an electrical tie wrap (zip lock thingy,) works wonders :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back