What pump/filter??

Fensholdt

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Hey!
Im getting ready for my little new axolotl, and im looking for the right pump for my akvarium.At the moment i have a 54L, but at some point im getting a 112L akvarium (in maybe 1 or 2 months).
So, my question is, what kind of pump do you use, and think is the best for axolotls? I know, that it has to be a pump with a filter that can sustain a high water quality. Can you get a pump which can be used in both my little akvarium, and my future bigger one??

Hope someone will help me, that would be awesome:)
/Louise

I would just use a sponge filter for awhile and do weekly water changes then when you move it to the bigger tank you can move the sponge filter to it and keep the good bacteria.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?jlimwe

Thank you for replying:)

I have now bought a filterpump, which i think is of good quality, and its big enough to go in my bigger tank when it arrives. So it is a bit to "efficient", or what you might call it for my current little tank, but i think its a good solution.
Hopefully my little new axolotl will like its new home :happy:

Hi,
I have a 54l aquarium myself and being this small I went for a small canister filter from Eheim. The filter I chose is Eheim classic 150 (2211). The filter is extremely simple to operate and it's the cheapest external filter from Eheim. It comes with 2 filter media, a blue sponge and a polypad. I filled the canister with 1l of Eheim substrat pro(which is a little expensive) between the 2 filter medias and I'm telling you that it's the best low budget external filter you can buy. The way I set it up it's for optimal biological filtration, which in my opinion is what external filters should be used for anyway. Another plus is that the pump is not that powerfull, and while other aquarists would consider this a bad thing, for axolotls is a great thing.
The filter box comes with hoses and a spray bar. Unfortunately it doesnt have valve connectors for easy cleaning, you will have to buy those separately. It takes 10-15 minutes to clean the canister, and it's not that much of a pain in the ****, unlike what other say.
Another good thing about it is that you can upgrade the aquarium up to 150l and not have to change the external filter.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back