Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Can I keep these two together/

arenaboy007

Reaction score
I decided to put two of my leucistics together since they are about the same size, around
3.5 inches, and my question is, will they be fine, or will they eat each other?
Here are pictures of them, sorry about the excess poop and food, I don't have my new
turkey baster yet. Hopefully you can see them fine with the pictures I took, the water
isn't crystal clear. Aquarium size is 15gallons, I'm planning to pick up my neighbors
50gallon, but I haven't heard from him yet. I also have a bigger melanoid around 4 inches
that is not pictured in the photos, can I put him as well or should he remain separated for now?

DSC00803.jpg

DSC00806.jpg

DSC00807.jpg

Star

Reaction score
You just reminded me I was meant to get a new turkey baster earlier as the dog ate mine, oops! :( They should be fine at that size together, if the other is only half an inch bigger then personally I would try them because it should be OK. Some axies are just grumps though, one of mine can't abide tank mates! Although if the melanoid is a lot broader I'd skip it for now :) If you are a bit nervous just do some axie watching with them all together for about an hour or two :D

JessKB

Reaction score
Keep them well fed though! They're less likely to harm each other if they're always full.

arenaboy007

Reaction score
Right now, I'm trying to figure out how I can take a picture of them together for sizing
comparison, but I can say the melanoid is fatter and broader than the two leucistics,
Will his growth slow down if I keep him in a small container, or will he still grow
at his current rate?

xxianxx

Reaction score
Right now, I'm trying to figure out how I can take a picture of them together for sizing
comparison, but I can say the melanoid is fatter and broader than the two leucistics,
Will his growth slow down if I keep him in a small container, or will he still grow
at his current rate?

I would advise against trying to retard the melanoids growth with a small container, you may have problems keeping the water clean and the smaller water volume may be more prone to temperature fluctuations . If you want to keep them seperate invest in a tank divider until they are of a more similar size.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They don't stay small when kept in smaller tanks. That's only applicable to certain species of fish.

arenaboy007

Reaction score
So the melanoid jumped from his isolated tank into the display tank, and I took the chance to take some pictures of them together. So is he too big for them?

DSC00822.jpg

DSC00823.jpg

And my two leucistics looks like they have a small scratch on the side of their mouth,
I was thinking where did they get that, by bumping into my aquatic furniture?

LeFarge

Reaction score
they should be fine - they might nip at each other, axies do that, but your melanoid won't eat the others!

arenaboy007

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys! I'll just make sure they're full all the time to avoid nipping each other,
and get a bigger tank.

arenaboy007

Reaction score
Unfortunately the tank is small for lots of hiding places, and I don't have good lighting to
keep live plants alive. Once I get the bigger tank I'll be able to work on that.
Do you guys know a lamp that does not come with a hood? Because I have a fan unit,
and I can't install it with hooded lamps.

xxianxx

Reaction score
I dont use the lights over my axolotl tanks , i let them get by with indirect sunlight, one of them only has a clear perspex sheet over it to stop them jumping out. You could remove the hood if you want to fit a fan. The downside to this is that plant growth would be lower , though you could research plants which require low light levels.

ACEPHONECHIC

Reaction score
Hi I have three young axies of various sizes that live in harmony. I was nervous at first with the largest and middle size one but you need to just watch things.
In my experience they tend to be quite ameanable with each other as long as feeding time there is enough for all.
I do not use lighting as they do not like it bright. Plastic plants are a good second if you can not use real ones. They do like to hide even if it not a large option as long as they have their head in or under something they think they are hidden.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1