Bad year for S.F. bay area amphibians

ableseaman

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been very distraught with the lack of lasting rainfall where I yearly view many newts and tree frogs, not to forget the red legged frog's breeding ponds. When rain does come, the newts and frog tadpoles never made it to maturity before drying up. I am of the view that warm waters along the shore and global warming being part of this mess, but am careful not to forget natural changes as well as man's involvement to atmospheric changes if this magnitude. I am pondering the thought of putting plastic or some form of water retaining surface in some areas so the water doesn't sink into the ground and give at least a chance for one breeding success. Is this wrong thinking? I would like to know what other members think.

Some years conditions just don't match up for breeding. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Now if it went on for a few years in a row, I would be a little more concerned. Hang in there though. It's not too late in the season for most stuff in northern CA.

That's why most amphibians are fairly long-lived. If they only lived to breed one generation, and then died off, we'd be in major trouble.

Luckily, many live 5-10+ years in the wild, and will breed again next year.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back