Help!

mikevitobello

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi,
I've had my axolotls for about 5 months now.He makes little attempts at eating his frozen beef heart, but doesn't really eat. I tried worms, he got it in his mouth then gave up. He floats, a lot! He peels, but not that badly. He is extremely thin, we think his tank mate attacks him because he has little scabs on his tail. Today he had food coming out of his gills. Once I got the food out, the 2 gills had lost their feathery texture, and they are now curled forward. The other axolotl is fine. Please help!

It is quite possible there is an underlining problem such as illness but I think the main cause of him not eating is probably stress. If you suspect his tank mate is attacking him move him to a different tank or seperate them with a tank divider. My axies always love worms, and if he got the worms in his mouth to begin with, try cutting them up into really quite small pieces that are easier to tackle. You could also try bloodworms, as these are typically smaller. Can I just ask if you know your water parameters? I've heard of people having axies that cope differently to poor water quality. Some just seem more susceptible.
You say you've had him 5 months, has he never eaten? How long has he been like this?
And just to get a better idea, what temperature are they, what substrate are they on etc. Any bright lighting?

I'd like to add a couple more questions to iheataxie's excellent list:

What do you mean by, "he had food coming out of his gills"? Do you mean that there was eaten food actually emerging from the gill slits behind the feathery gill stalks? Also, how did you remove it?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back