Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White "algae"looking stuff on axie - fungus?

Cts

Reaction score
White "algae" looking stuff recently started showing up on my lecoustic axie (around feet and mouth), she's about 3 years old by now and never had any problems before this, other than floating. Anyone know what it can be? I'm guessing some kind of fungal infection, but im not sure. Should o go for saltbathing or are there any other method to recomend? And could her 2 tank mates be at any risk? They seem fine at the moment.

Any help appreciated!

Cts

Reaction score
Here's a pic

Attachments

• axolotl.jpg
    axolotl.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 1,786

Cts

Reaction score
Not looking good! :(

Attachments

• 20120307_211330.jpg
    20120307_211330.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 1,673

Linus

Reaction score
I recommend a salt bath as soon as possible in combination with fridging. If the other axies in the tank have open wounds they could also be susceptible to this. Someone may advise you dose the main tank with salt as well. Hopefully someone will chime in as I am not an axie person, just trying to offer advice.

The good thing is your axie has a healthy weight, and should be able to pull through after the fridging which will slow down it's metabolism! You won't have to worry about lack of eating and weight loss for a while.

Last edited:

Cts

Reaction score
Thanks, will do! Any suggestions on how to treat the tank? It's a 150L tank, temp 17.5-18.5 C

nwmnnaturalist

Reaction score
Check out the Caudata Care Sheet for Salt Treatments - http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/salt.shtml

It definitely looks like a fungal issue, which may or may not have caused that issue that looks like flaking/sloughing skin. Most fungal issues occur when their immune systems are compromised, though the reasons are many. Infections, parasites, water quality issues.

Good luck!

Cts

Reaction score
Saltbaths done, 3 times a day for 3 days, she looks alittle better but still has some severe wounds, but hopefully the fungus is gone by now and she will continue to recover, keeping her in the fridge for a week :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1