Water depth?

Kupcake

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! I am getting my new axolotls next week and have one question. I have seen a lot of tanks that have low water levels...is there a reason for this? My tank is about 40gal and it is about 30 inches tall. As far as I can tell from all my research is that the water depth wont be an issue, just would like to hear it from the mouths of the experts...

Thanks in advance!
Kupcake

I fill my tank all the way up. It is easier to keep the water parameters and the temp stable.

I fill my tank all the way up. It is easier to keep the water parameters and the temp stable.

I agree with this. Water depth won't be a problem, will slow filter outflow, and will buffer water conditions.

You don't need to run water up to the top, and they'll care more about the footprint than the depth...but filling the tank won't hurt.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back