Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fungus but no fridge

Chicabelle

Reaction score
Hi,

I think both of my axxies have a touch of fungus although it's hard to tell with my golden albino because of his natural colouring. My wild type definately has a few tiny white spots down one side though. I'm okay about giving him a salt bath but my partner absolutely refuses to have him in the fridge - says its unnatural to put something live into a fridge.

Will the salt baths still work without the fridge time or do I need to take my axxie to my mothers for a few days? (She won't like it either but she's put up with it lol).

and is there something to treat their tank with to stop it recurring. They've only been in their new tank a couple of weeks and never had a problem before.

Thanks

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
As long as the water is clean and cool then a fridge will not be needed. out of interest, do you know what the readings are for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite?

Chicabelle

Reaction score
The tank is still cycling so the ammonia is constantly at about 0.5-1ppm. I do 20% water changes every day and it doesn't seem to affect them. I don't know about the other two as I don't have the test kits for them.

Could it be because their tank does get a bit of natural sunlight now? I do cover the sides during the day with a towel and that cuts most of the light out.

Thanks for replying, salt bath it is for Fat Harry then. Do you think I should bathe the other one as well, just to be safe? Never done a salt bath before so abit nervous about catching them :eek:

weofui

Reaction score
Can you get a picture? Those tiny white spots may be normal - are they fuzzy at all?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!