Spring Break and Axies Question

arnichol

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Amy
So I have Spring Break next week and seeing as I haven't had a free weekend since the beginning of the semester, I am going home. However, my axies absolutely hate being moved. It takes them a few days to settle back down and eat normally again, and considering I'm only going to be at home for 6 days, it doesn't seem worth the stress.

My question is, will they be alright without food for 6 days? I have two, one is about nine months, nearly 9 inches, and the other is seven months and seven inches. I'm just worried about coming back to missing limbs and such.

I left my pair alone for 9 days this winter break and they were fine :)

Just make sure that their water will not get warm!

I'd say either skip the feedings, or set it up to have a friend feed them once.

Fish, reptiles, and amphibians go a long time without food in the wild. The goldfish in my family's pond would go most of winter without food. I've actually seen recommendations to feed aquarium fish every two days, rather than overfeeding. Generally reptiles are fed once a week, and most terrestrial amphibian keepers do something similar.

And I think feeding my axie every two days is actually more than he needs. I would not worry about six days.

I would give em one good feed before you left, when i left for spring break i fed my pair two small/med meals the last two days before i left. That way it wasnt tooo much at once but it was a large two day meal lol. Then if you have feeder fish (if not don't worry because you need to quarantine(spelling?) them for a minimum of 2 weeks.) i would throw a few in.

Other than water temp i wouldnt worry to much

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back