Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How do I make my 3ft tropical tank suitable for axolotls?

axolotl newbie

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a mature 36x15x12" tropical tank which I intend to house my two juveniles in when they are big enough and the fish have been re-homed.

My question is about cycling and bacteria. Obviously I won't be using a heater for the axolotls and I will also have to remove the gravel and replace it with sand. Basically, is it better for me to completely empty the tank and start again from scratch, or should I simply remove the gravel and heater and use the water and the bacteria colony that are already there?

Will the bacteria from a tropical set up die in cold water? Also, are there any potential threats in the form of parasites and diseases I should be worried about? One of the fish died from some kind of fungus a few weeks ago but none of the others have shown any signs of ill health. Is there some kind of treatment I could use pre-emptively?

My axolotls are only 2" at the moment so obviously won't be going in for a while. Any ideas would be really appreciated :)

Jenste

Reaction score
The bacteria will be just fine for the axolotls and you shouldn't need to break anything down.

Do a PWC before they go in so that they can settle in for a few days with out being stressed by a WC.. ....then post lots of pictures of them in their big ol' tank :D

Gromky

Reaction score
Agreed. Cool the tank down (you could even use a bit of ice). Don't let it sit too long without an ammonia source.The things that will kill your bioload are over cleaning or leaving it without waste to feed upon.

axolotl newbie

Reaction score
So do I need to worry about the disease the one fish had? I think it may have been Columnaris which I believe axolotls can catch....? I didn't treat with medication as there are some glass catfish in the tank, but did frequent water changes and none of the other fish seem to have caught it.

Will there be enough bacteria left after I remove the gravel? Also I am worried that the Fluval 4 intertnal filter I have in there will be way too strong for them. I have bought a Boyu SP-1000II to replace it with. Should I run them both together for a while so the bacteria colonise the new filter? I can leave my white cloud mountain minnow in the tank as I want to keep him when the others are rehomed and he won't mind the cooler water. I'll put him in my other tank when it's time for the axies to go in. Will one minnow produce enough waste to keep the bacteria going?

axolotl newbie

Reaction score
Hi again. Can anyone help me on this? Is it possible that the disease has gone as none of my other fish have shown any signs? Or do I need to treat the tank somehow before I get it ready for the axolotls?

Linus

Reaction score
If there is any question at all I'd completely rip down the tank and clean with baking soda and allow it to dry. Better be safe than sorry. I wouldn't take the chance, so I'd advise you clean it if it's known there was a disease in the tank that could transfer to your new amphibian.

Once the tank has been cleaned you can re-cycle from scratch rather than using the old possibly disease contaminated filter media. Again, just would I would do personally.

Last edited:

Linus

Reaction score
It's really not as monumental as it sounds. Just fill her up, put a lot of live plants in there to help (even if it's just java moss) and check the levels for a while! :D It'll be better in the long run for sure.

axolotl newbie

Reaction score
So do you think I should get rid of the plants that are already in there? I have moss balls and java ferns and also some bog wood. Would they be contaminated?

Linus

Reaction score
I'd worry more about the filter media and the substrate (if any), and walls of the enclosure. There is a method for disinfecting plants I found for you Here

Here is an article I found on disinfecting Moss balls specifically

axolotl newbie

Reaction score
Great! Thanks. I am getting rid of the gravel as will be using sand for the axolotls. Also I have bought a new filter as I think the Fluval 4 in their at the moment is far too strong.
I have bought a Boyu SP-1000II which I intend use with a spray bar directed at the side of the tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1