Hi from NY

pwnageninja21

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi i am from delmar ny and i would like help on what to buy to set up an aquarium for axolotl :cool: thank you

Well, I think a good start would be to go to our sister site, axolotl.org, and poke around on there for a while. They cover all the major aspects of care for axolotls and are a great resource. Any specific questions you have can be posted on this forum, under the appropriate heading, like "Sick Axolotl" or "Tanks and Setups" and the like.

I think the number one thing most people on here would tell you is to not use aquarium gravel as your substrate- either go with a bare-bottom tank or use sand. That's just so the axolotls won't inhale the rocks as they eat and then get impacted. Other than that, get a slow filter that doesn't create much current, keep your temperature low, and don't have any super sharp decorations. Their skin is like marshmallows, and they can easily be cut or scraped. Also be sure to fully cycle your tank in preparation for your new pet, so the chemistry in the tank is comfortable for him. There are lots of great articles on what cycling is and how to do it on here if you just search for "cycling a tank."

Anything else, feel free to ask on here, create a new thread! Good luck, and welcome to the land of axolotls!! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back