PDA

View Full Version : What colour is my axi?

kittyh21
11th March 2012, 00:33
I have just bought an axolotl and I am a little unsure about the colours.
I have done some research but I am confused over the whole black/melanoid/non-melanoid, can anyone shed some light?

MrsGimmik
11th March 2012, 00:42
You have a WildType Axolotl.
He/She is very Beautiful ! <3 Good luck with your new addition ! :happy:

celticcrow77
11th March 2012, 04:37
Yeah, a melanoid would just be solid black. With all those speckles, you've got yourself a wildtype. Just like mine! It's neat, cuz that how they originally looked in the wild, before we started breeding weird colours out of them. :) Imagine him lurking around on the bottom of a lake, snapping at passing worms. He'd fit right in!

kittyh21
11th March 2012, 12:25
thank you both so much! The guy at the pet shop said he thinks she is a she! She is only 6 months, so I am going to research how to sex them and check again in a few months, once she has matured more :)

So a question again about the melanoids, I've heard you can get non-melanoid blacks, so do you know the difference between melanoid and non-melanoid-black?

weofui
11th March 2012, 20:23
thank you both so much! The guy at the pet shop said he thinks she is a she! She is only 6 months, so I am going to research how to sex them and check again in a few months, once she has matured more :)

So a question again about the melanoids, I've heard you can get non-melanoid blacks, so do you know the difference between melanoid and non-melanoid-black?

I'm not sure you could find an entirely black non-melanoid, but if they exist, the only difference would be that non-melanoids would have a shiny ring around the pupil, where melanoids do not.

Loobylou
12th March 2012, 08:57
Yeah, a melanoid would just be solid black.

Not always. I recently picked up a gorgeous grey melanoid with little black spots. Easiest way to tell is to look for the shiney ring around the eyes.

celticcrow77
12th March 2012, 15:16
Ooohhh, grey melanoid with spots sounds gorgeous! My bad...

Kaysie
13th March 2012, 15:31
And not all melanoids are dark. You can have melanoid albinos and melanoid leucistics too.

kittyh21
13th March 2012, 17:01
Not always. I recently picked up a gorgeous grey melanoid with little black spots. Easiest way to tell is to look for the shiney ring around the eyes.

She has a lighter ring round her pupils, so does that mean she is a melanoid wild type?
What does it mean if she IS melanoid?

melfly
23rd March 2012, 16:36
Shes just a wild type.
Thats not a throw away comment as she's gorgeous.

In better words she's non melanoid.

Mel

kittyh21
23rd March 2012, 16:44
Thanks :) It's good to know these little things :) My brother got a leucistic one before christmas, but he doesn't even know what colour it is. I like to spend the time researching though, I find them fascinating :)