Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Constipation. Fridging ?

BuHg3oP

Reaction score
Hi.

My axie has symptoms of constipation - very telling posture. It's his first day like this, but I think it started the day before yesterday, when I noticed him trying to poop. So it's been 3 days. He swims and looks ok, just sometimes tries to poop. I did feed him 2 small bits of beef heart, so I guess this is the case, although the second one digested it well.

You think I should fridge him or wait for some more and see how it goes?

PS: I already got water prepared for fridging :) but I really feel bad grabbing him, he's so delicate and does not want to leave his home :p

lea

Reaction score
I would just watch him and see how he goes. If he is really struggling then I would fridge him. He should be fine soon.
Has he got anything in his tank that he might've eaten and it has got stuck(like gravel)? If he has eaten gravel then I would put him in the fridge.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Think.

By slowing down the critter's metabolism in the fridge, how is that going to help a gastrointestinal blockage? (Fridging is great for healing wounds and infections.)

Aquatic animals cannot get "constipated" they can get "blocked up" as stated above. Fridging is more likely to kill the critter in this case, if your diagnosis is correct. All that nasty stuff will just sit in the gut and rot giving the critter an nasty, fatal internal infection.

Better to place it in a hospital tub with a Holfretter's solution.

Or better ye,t why not try a trip to the veterinarian first?

BuHg3oP

Reaction score
Unfortunately, we do not have such a professional (vet) in my country, the only one is in the central zoo, but she does not know much, as axolotls born and die, and born and die ... there are hundreds of them in the zoo, and they just don't care :/

He hasn't pooped for 4 days and does not swim, only walks around sometimes, but mostly laying, facing away from me into shadow :) His head facing upwards most of the time with gills red and facing forward (water flow is an issue), mouth slightly open, as if he is trying to poop. I have sand substrate, water plants, he might have eaten a small leaf or something.

But why do people keep saying, that fridging solves constipation problems then?

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Unfortunately, we do not have such a professional (vet) in my country, the only one is in the central zoo, but she does not know much, as axolotls born and die, and born and die ... there are hundreds of them in the zoo, and they just don't care :/

He hasn't pooped for 4 days and does not swim, only walks around sometimes, but mostly laying, facing away from me into shadow :) His head facing upwards most of the time with gills red and facing forward (water flow is an issue), mouth slightly open, as if he is trying to poop. I have sand substrate, water plants, he might have eaten a small leaf or something.

But why do people keep saying, that fridging solves constipation problems then?

Generally due to confusion. Often many users misunderstand the purpose of fridging and assume it is a cure -all. Personally, I have never had to fridge an axolotl and have had to treat numerous (sometimes horrific) medical issues on my own.

If it has been only four days, I wouldn't worry yet. They have slow metabolisms dependent on water temperature and diet. Sand and leaves are not a problem for their digestive system. Some of my specimens only defecate once a week. The large adults often do not defecate for two weeks or more at a time.

I'd wait a few days, then feed him some frozen/thawed blood worm or a big fat earthworm.

Most importantly, DON'T PANIC! As long as their water is relatively clean, axies are tough critters.

BuHg3oP

Reaction score
But what about that so called constipation posture with curled back? He was standing like that once and keeps standing not entirely straight all time, like as he wanted to poop, but can't. Can it be that that beef heart piece is slowly digested? But the other lotl is feeling well, although he ate the same stuff.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!