Question: Are "Baby Crawlers" (aka dillies) Safe for Axies?

bob94

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been feeding my 8 month old axolotl red worms, because they're smaller. I ran low on them, so I went to walmart and got some worms. the night crawlers seemed much too big, so i got some "baby crawlers." It said "aka dillies" on the package. I haven't fed him any yet because I want to make sure that they're safe for him to eat. So, are they safe?

"Dillies" are just baby Canadian Nightcrawlers, they're fine. :)

When I first switched from bloodworms to earthworms I used baby crawlers that also said "aka: Dillies." If I were to guess your probably using the same brand I used, DMF bait company?

Definitely baby Canadian earthworms, I highly advise you to open the container before buying them and inspecting for mold, it happens fast in our coolers at Walmart (i work in the sporting goods department at Walmart) we get them in by the caseload when we run low, and have to rotate stock, of the employee is doing their job right, then new worms will be in the back, and older in the front.

Definitely baby Canadian earthworms, I highly advise you to open the container before buying them and inspecting for mold, it happens fast in our coolers at Walmart (i work in the sporting goods department at Walmart) we get them in by the caseload when we run low, and have to rotate stock, of the employee is doing their job right, then new worms will be in the back, and older in the front.

I agree with this. I actually had to talk with one of the managers at my local walmart because a majority of their worms were always fungus infected.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back