Tail disappearing? and getting skinnier

zronclown

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Any chance you could post a picture and describe the tank for us? (size/dimensions, temperature, substrate, ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels)

Any chance you could post a picture and describe the tank for us? (size/dimensions, temperature, substrate, ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels)

temperature: around 21C
size: 3 ft.
substrate: bare bottom
ammonia:0 nitrite:0 nitrate:5

You may see her left front leg is bending backwards and I have noticed she has difficulties walking/ swimming that limb ( barely move with it). It appears red and a bit swollen at that joint as well.

And you may also see that her "fin" or tail is lacking the typical axolotl flagby bit .... Seems like it has been shrink and I have almond leaves in tank to deal with. ( it has been quite a while)

Attachments

• IMG_20120312_214951.jpg
    IMG_20120312_214951.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_20120312_224432.jpg
    IMG_20120312_224432.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_20120312_224445.jpg
    IMG_20120312_224445.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_20120312_224509.jpg
    IMG_20120312_224509.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 708
  • IMG_20120312_224555.jpg
    IMG_20120312_224555.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 417
  • IMG_20120312_224609.jpg
    IMG_20120312_224609.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 952
She is very skinny. What are you feeding her at present, how much and how often. Also how long have you had her? Does she share a tank with anything else?

She is very skinny. What are you feeding her at present, how much and how often. Also how long have you had her? Does she share a tank with anything else?

She is eating axolotl pellets ...she used to eat earthworms but she refuse to so I changed t o pellets. I have her for 2 years already... She had a tank mate before but that axie died with unknown reason like 2 months ago..... They kind of sharing the some symptoms .

She used to be more chubby.

At the moment she is in the fridge, I dont know if that is a right thing to do

fridging reduces their appetite and if anything we want her to eat more.

Try offering cubes of frozen bloodworms if she doesn't like earthworms.
I have yet to see an axie refuse bloodworms.

fridging reduces their appetite and if anything we want her to eat more.

Try offering cubes of frozen bloodworms if she doesn't like earthworms.
I have yet to see an axie refuse bloodworms.

OMG... I took a look at her today... Her left front leg, the limping one , looks a bit cloudy.... And so how I feel like it may be her toes are developing some fungus infection ....
What should I do?? Can any one suggest any antibiotic for me?

Salt baths a couple of times a day will usually deal with most fungus especially if it isn't long established.
This is a great salt bath tutorial
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...axolotl/72698-salt-bath-picture-tutorial.html

but I would agree, you don't want to put an axie that skinny in the fridge, instead try her with a range of different foods, you never know, she might take to one and you want to get her eating. :)
Axies will go off food for a number of reasons, she may have something medically wrong with her but I would want to rule out it isn't stress too.
Do you have a filter? If so, the water flow may be a little...traumatic to her. I had a friend who had to remove his -very weak- filter because his axie just stressed out constantly.
Is she exposed to a lot of light?
Also, just checking the obvious things, do you treat your water with conditioner?
Hope we can all figure out the problem and get your axie healthy again...

Salt baths a couple of times a day will usually deal with most fungus especially if it isn't long established.
This is a great salt bath tutorial
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...axolotl/72698-salt-bath-picture-tutorial.html

but I would agree, you don't want to put an axie that skinny in the fridge, instead try her with a range of different foods, you never know, she might take to one and you want to get her eating. :)
Axies will go off food for a number of reasons, she may have something medically wrong with her but I would want to rule out it isn't stress too.
Do you have a filter? If so, the water flow may be a little...traumatic to her. I had a friend who had to remove his -very weak- filter because his axie just stressed out constantly.
Is she exposed to a lot of light?
Also, just checking the obvious things, do you treat your water with conditioner?
Hope we can all figure out the problem and get your axie healthy again...

Would she be too weak for a salt bath ?? Her last tank mate had a similar problem and I treat her with salt bath and fridging .... it didnt work for her. So now I am scared should i do the same thing for this one. FYI i have put an almond leaf with her in her tub.

I do have a filter and it was there ever since she was introduced to the tank. And there is no extra light added just normal sunlight that might get thru a window.... but the tank is quite far from it and there are multiples hides. Water is always treated with conditioner.

I am just wondering should I take her to a vet? any ideas of how much it might cause ??

Again, thanks a lot for being here to sort this out :angel:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back