Question: For those whose Axolotls live in a Walstad Planted Tank...

Axolotls in a Walstad tank

• I am interested in trying a Walstad tank with axolotls.

Votes: 35 67.3%
  • I have my axolotl(s) in a Walstad tank, and it works great!

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • I have had axolotls in a Walstad tank, and it worked great, but I no longer use one.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have had axolotls in a Walstad tank, and it didn't work.

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • I am not interested in trying a Walstad tank with axolotls.

Votes: 11 21.2%

• Total voters

Coldnorthtoy

Reaction score
Country
Canada
There have been some posts that skirt around this, but I would really like to hear from any/everyone who houses their axolotls in a Walstad tank.

I'm going to be setting up a 5.5 gallon for shrimp and minnows using the Walstad method, and I may try a couple of 'shrimp bowls' as well.

I've added a poll to try to capture some data around interest and experience as well.

With regards to set up:
  • How deep is your soil?
  • What do you cap it with? Sand, or ...?
  • How densely did you plant it?
  • Do you use a filter as well? If so, what type?

With regards to 'results:'
  • Does your axolotl dig through the cap?
  • How often do you do water changes?
  • Would you do it again?

Thanks for your time and input!

I wouldn't try a Walstad tank with axolotl. My lot are far too destructive. When they had a sand substrate they would wear pathways in it and any plants where up rooted. The only plants that survived where duck weed and elodea that was left to float.
Having said that, if I was raising juveniles again it may be worth considering, as the tank may get a chance to mature before the hooligans are big enough to mess it up.

I think it's such a great idea...my only concern is I'd be worried how much light I'd have to use to get a good plant growth and if it would disturb my axies...and I've become obsessed with cleaning up after my little buggers :)

Hmm, I don't think I'd try it with axies. I keep a planted tank that is fairly close to that design, and my axie would be very unhappy with that much light and movement.

I think this is a great idea! If you can have enough plants or even some floating plants the extra light shouldn't effect the axolotls since the plants will block out the light. Also I am going to add some bigger gravel on the top (smooth pond stones I picked up at the hardware store) in order to prevent my little guys from up rooting the plants.

Any idea of what kind of plants like cold water?

Elodea, Cabomba aquatica, Lysimachia nummularia, Hydrocotyle, Java fern, Java moss, Christmas moss, Pistia stratiotes, Ceratophyllum demersum and Azolla filiculoides are a couple of good examples.

I think your main setback is the sheer bioload of an axolotl. The walstad method allows for a few tiny fish, some shrimp, etc. To support the output of an axolotl, you're looking to "walstad" something on the magnitude of 35 to 55 gallons.

It's interesting and seems like it'd be fun, but I, too, worry about the amount of light that might be needed. I'm getting Java Fern/Moss and some Anubias barteri, because it needs very little light, and can last in cold, hard water. So if you used that, then this could work well. Adding Cherry Shrimp could also keep the algae down.

And as someone said, if you grow plants that will cover the top, the light might not bother our little Axolotls.

It's a very interesting idea, hadn't heard of it before, so thank you for posting :) moving my tank soon so doing loads of research on it. I have a 6x2 tank, with a external filter and five axis. This would give 30ish gallons per axie (give or take for the hides etc and it not being filled all the way to the top), wonder if half of the tank was heavily planted with the filter if this would work.

I run a Walstad "inspired" tropical tank. With a 55 gallon tank, we planted organic potting soil about an inch and a half or so thick, and then capped it with river rock pebbles (though we should have tried to use calcium or even sand.) We also cheated and didn't treat our soil by washing or drying or anything, we just plunked it right in. None of the fish have suffered as a result, but the soil does release some steady bubble streams that I have to assume are from anaerobic decay. The nitrate bloom was ridiculous right after we switched to soil - so the first week was spent doing 1/4 water changes daily - more out of fear than necessity. After everything settled though, we haven't had any issues whatsoever. Even our burrowing fish don't really upset the soil and the plants absolutely love it!

We also still run two filters and a bubbler, just because I don't trust the plants to keep up with the bioload.

I've been thinking of trying it with axolotls since my two don't seem very destructive. They leave the substrate more or less alone and all of their plants have remained intact and grounded.

I wouldn't try a Walstad tank with axolotl. My lot are far too destructive. When they had a sand substrate they would wear pathways in it and any plants where up rooted. The only plants that survived where duck weed and elodea that was left to float.
Having said that, if I was raising juveniles again it may be worth considering, as the tank may get a chance to mature before the hooligans are big enough to mess it up.

We'll be moving our juvies into a 40 gallon breeder that will be heavily planted soon, but those plants that are not rooted to wood/rocks and are actually planted in the sand will have protective slate 'borders' protecting the roots. In theory it sounds like it should work, but you know how creative axies can be.

Saw this, and it looks (especially after reading further) really interesting! I've decided I'm going to incorporate it into my tank upgrade filter arrangement- not necessarily a traditional Walstad (As it has to support 10 axies *coughslightlyaddictedcough*), but hopefully it'll help balance the bioload and let the plants go crazy and thus make the axie's environment that much more enjoyable :)

I was looking to use a walstad setup with my new tank, but ended up taking it a step further. I got top soil and mineralized it. This prevented an ammonia spike, and made the soil much more nutritious for the plants.

I used about a 1/2 inch of soil, capped with a 1/4 inch of sand. It's been set up for almost a week and has been doing really well. My axies haven't uncovered the soil, and they only uprooted one plant that seemed to be in one of their favorite places to move around a lot. I've got about 12 other plants in there and I've already noticed significant growth in the past few days. The plants have put out tons of roots!

I'm using a sponge filter, which creates very little flow, so it's great for the axolotls and doesn't turn up my substrate.

The tank has 3 60 watt equivalent bulbs, and my axies don't seem to mind them at all. Even still, the plants have created many shady spots, as does my piece of driftwood.

You can see the soil substrate and my plants here: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...5-my-custom-acrylic-axolotl-tank-project.html

I plan on updating with pictures of weekly plant growth.

I use an adapted walstad tank for my axolotls, the pics below are of the tank I am currently cycling for some A.andersoni. I put a couple inches of compost in the bottom of a tub wet it so it is sodden but not runny , place the plants roots in it , put large stone stones over the compost, then add wet sand to the exposed compost to stop it floating away when the tub is placed in the tank. The tubs appear to fill the tank but what it actually does is provide excellent hides, very little water volume is actually taken up. The root systems of the plants, surface cover and the sides of the container make the axolotls feel very secure and they generally hang around on the big stones inside the container surrounded by vegetation. Please note this tank is still in progress, I have to add additional tube hides and reposition the tubs. This tank is in my shed but gets lots of daylight from the double glazed window which takes up one half of the shed wall.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    222.3 KB · Views: 3,604
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    219.7 KB · Views: 2,838
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    216.1 KB · Views: 5,809
I've got a question in regards to appropriate soil for a Walstad- I checked it out at Bunnings (Whilst getting the plumbing for the under grave part/canister inlet plate), and pretty much all the soils have "Water retainer" crystals- Not good? Does anyone know a good soil mix available in Australia that'd work for a walstad?

I've got a question in regards to appropriate soil for a Walstad- I checked it out at Bunnings (Whilst getting the plumbing for the under grave part/canister inlet plate), and pretty much all the soils have "Water retainer" crystals- Not good? Does anyone know a good soil mix available in Australia that'd work for a walstad?

Try to find an organic top soil. Either way, it's safest to sift the soil to remove any additives (like those crystals) and organics (like mulch that will eventually rot in the tank). That way you end up with pure dirt!

Worst case scenario, you can soak the soil, changing the water daily, to make sure to wash away any bad chemicals. Good luck!

Woah. Lots of new posts since I was here last. :)

I've now set up two Walstad-style 5.5 gallon tanks, one with five White Cloud Mountain Minnows and a few American Glass Shrimp (and a lonely, but huge [1" or so] Red Cherry Shrimp), and another with just American Glass Shrimp - who had five babies. :O

The five WCMMs managed to have 40 or so babies about 2 months ago, and the 13 in the tank now (yes, that's way too much, I know :O) have just had another load - probably more like 60 this time. :O It's time to get a bigger tank soon. :)

I have mulled this over a bunch over the last few months, and what I've been thinking is this:

• Put the dirt down.
  • Lay cheesecloth over it, and tuck it in on all sides.
  • Cover with sand/rock, whatever.
  • 'poke through' the cheese cloth (maybe with a knife first) to plant the plants.

I was originally thinking geotextile fabric with sand siliconed on to it, but I think that's too much of a barrier between the sand and the dirt - detritus/rotting junk is ideally supposed to be able to permeate the sand and find its way down to the dirt to 're-nutrient' it.

my tank is fairly on with a walstad design i think. I will use a canister filter but I think that my plants will probally gulp up all the ammonia before it has a chance to cycle. I understand it as terrestial plants suck up more extra nutrients then any underwater plants can so I used that in my design. I will see how it goes in the long run but I really think having some terrestial plants is key to keep up with our messy little buddies.:ufo:( I just wanted to use that)

Attachments

• droid 003.jpg
    droid 003.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 2,565
I have mulled this over a bunch over the last few months, and what I've been thinking is this:

• Put the dirt down.
  • Lay cheesecloth over it, and tuck it in on all sides.
  • Cover with sand/rock, whatever.
  • 'poke through' the cheese cloth (maybe with a knife first) to plant the plants.

I was considering using hessian as a barrier to stop the axolotls digging the plants up, let us know how you get on with the cheese cloth.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back