Question: I'm new to rough-skinned newts... Help?

asfouts

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Natural designs
Hello I am Andrew, i'm new to this forum. I found it while looking at newt setups. I owned fire-belly newts for 10 years and they were relatively easy to appease. However all non-native newts and salamanders have been prohibited in my state (Washington). So I decided to buy a fishing license and I can have up to 4 newts from the wild with this license. I am going to use a 10 gallon and a 40 later. Currently I have roots in the tank that were sanitized and local plants because I want the enclosure to look native. Well in the plants there were hyalella azteca and new zealand mud snails. I also may have amur gobies or loaches in there, because they are invasive around these parts. I use a power head in the enclosure and am getting a sponge filter ready.

Anyway just wanted to give a summarization of where I am so far... if anyone can help I would love it.

also planning on using live insects like earthworms and the hyallela, etc.

New installment drained the water. Threw out the watersprite. For whatever reason my goldfish that were to age the tank were getting sick. So I will let sit for awhile and re-add safe water when all is evaporated

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back