Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Constipated Axolotl? Advice Please!!

JoBirdy

Reaction score
I've had my axolotl for around a year now, he is about 6 inches long and white with pink gills, I love him to bits!

However, recently I've noticed that his gills are very pale, and remain that way even when he is feeding, I have been doing water changes more frequently in order to try and improve the problem, and changing the position of my filter to better oxygenate the water. Other than this he was behaving perfectly normally until today where i noticed him at the bottom of the tank on his side acting disorientated and struggling slightly. There is also a dark shadow through his skin underneath his tail (near his rectum). I have since put him in a shallow container of water and he seems to have righted himself and is standing upright again. However, he has been looking like he has been trying to poo and no luck. Have I done the right thing? Any further advice would really be appreciated, I love my pet and hate to see him unwell!! :confused:

weofui

Reaction score
Do you have gravel in the tank, or anything else he might have swallowed?

BuHg3oP

Reaction score
When my lotl got constipated his gills were actually even more red, than before, and pointing forward, as he was trying to push the stuff through. And he was, yes, standing more on one side, but it was barely noticable.

I think, if he had swallowed gravel his posture would be different and you could feel or even see the stones (as he is almost transparent :p ) inside. He would be sitting and moving heavily ... ofc depends on the amount of stones and their size.

Fridging can be one of the solutions, but you have to be sure of the case not to make it worse.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1