Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Another batch of eggs...

happycamper

Reaction score
Do these look like they are developing?

IMAG2956.jpg

IMAG2959.jpg

xxianxx

Reaction score
The eggs will hatch latter at a lower temperature, the larvae can survive a couple of days on their yolk sacs, this may help you time the hatch date and allow you to get back before they hatch. Alternatively get a friend to put some daphnia in the tank when they hatch, if it happens before you get back.

happycamper

Reaction score
IMAG2978.jpg

This is the stage they are at right now, well last night at least. Can I safely ship them out? I think I need to get rid of as many as possible. How do I figure out state laws about shipping? I live in Idaho.

HeatherFeather

Reaction score
If you are going to ship them, I would do so as soon as possible! Just curious...what color are the parents? I would possibly be interested in a few.

grets66

Reaction score
The same thing just happened in my tank as well.
I found another batch of eggs although she just laid some 4 weeks ago and I have baby larvae in separate tank already.
Will I have to separate her from the males to prevent this happening again?
I do not think she is 18months yet and also she is I think maybe 10 or less cm smaller than the males, so maybe she is still too young?.
What should I do?

happycamper

Reaction score
A friend of mine told me that because my axolotl is so young I should put a divider in because it is hard on her body to produce so many eggs, especially if she's doing it every couple months. I have noticed the she seems much more "relaxed" with the divider, so I think she appreciates it.

I think other than separating you have to keep a close eye out for the mating signs, the males tend to have a swollen cloaca and start following and bothering the females. You can remove the spermatophores before the female gets to them to avoid the egg issue. This is what I was planning on doing, obviously didn't work out very well for me....

happycamper

Reaction score
The pigmentation seems to have developed overnight! Looks like I may have ended up with a leucistic like mama and a golden albino like papa!

IMAG3100.jpg

MrsGimmik

Reaction score
Sure does look like a golden Albino, the other little guy is deff a WildType. :)

happycamper

Reaction score
So I thought I would post an update on my little guys! I kept 4 eggs from the batch and all 4 seem to be doing well :)

The parents are a golden albino and a leucistic, and the babies ended up being one golden albino and 3 wild types.

Here is my current set up
IMAG3531.jpg

I broke down and bought a brine shrimp hatchery from Brine Shrimp Direct, and boy do I love it. I have never hatched brine shrimp before, but this thing made it easy as pie! I am able to hatch brine shrimp in 12 hours, so it's no big deal when I need to start a new batch. The little guys accumulate in the little white cup in the center, which has a very fine mesh bottom. So all you do is lift the little cup, carefully rinse off any salt with freshwater and feed.

IMAG3538.jpg

The handy dandy white rings keep all the eggs on the outer rim, so you don't have to worry about any shells getting into your axies tank.

When I initially got all the eggs out of the tank I missed 2 of them, so they stayed in the much cooler (about 60 degrees) large aquarium until a few days before they hatched. They took a few days longer to hatch, and have been growing much slower than the other 2. I think I will be separating them from the larger ones tomorrow.

IMAG3536.jpg

IMAG3511.jpg

IMAG3534.jpg

Sorry about the crappy pictures, took them with my phone.

axolotl lvr

Reaction score
Happy camper they are sooo cute!! And ur pics are very good especially the close ups!!! Aww they are adorable!!! Your set up is amazing. Congrats!!! ;)

emily74

Reaction score
Oh wow it's awesome to see all the pictures of them developing! Thanks for posting them!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1