Aquaruim chiller investment...do they make chillers that can work for multiple sizes of tank?

SapphireTigress

Reaction score
Country
United States
So in a few months I'll have some money to invest in a chiller system. My Axie is only 4 inches now and hanging out in a 10 gallon, but I plan on having a couple axies down the line in a nice big tank, perhaps a bowfront 40 gallon or maybe a 75 gallon tank.

Do they make chillers that can chill a 10 gallon tank, but yet also be able to chill a much larger tank? My guess is that if you used a chiller powerful enough for the big tank it would cool down your smaller tank much more, but since axies seem to do ok in a wide range of temps ranging from 55-70 * F, and chillers dont seem to drop the water temps more than 10 * F, this sounds like it could indeed be feasible.

Thoughts? Suggestions on brands of chiller, HP/size of chiller/Type of chiller inline vs other?
I dont really want to have a huge setup around my tank just to chill the water, since the tank setup isnt really going to be elaborate lol.

Also, i'm pretty confused as to if these chillers go IN my tank or around it? The pictures i keep seeing refer to a sump system, and i have no idea what that could be. I was just hoping they made something you put in your tank that got the water colder lol...

I have a hailea chiller and it attaches to the canister filter. I cant see why you cant buy the bigger chiller and attach it to the smaller tank, my understanding is that it will just cool the tank better because it doesnt have a lot of water to go through.....i may be wrong tho.
My chiller is set up
from tank to filter then from filter to chiller then chiller to tank and the cycle continues.

Hello
I would check the flow rate of the chiller. Chillers perform best at the flow rate recommended by the manufacturer.. A fast flow rate means a stronger current for the return water. I hope this was helpful.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back