Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Very worried now... feeding

Machiavelli

Reaction score
Hello, please help me:eek:

We have two female axolotls. Brought them home on Saturday.

On Sunday neither would eat the frozen bloodworms.

Today? One has wolfed down the bloodworms and the other still seems uninterested in eating.

Can anyone tell me if the worms that I could buy at a 'live bait' fishing store would be okay to try to entice out other axolotl to eat?

Otherwise, any advice to encourage her to eat, any tips on what she might be enticed to eat, would be just wonderful.

I've read that they will only eat when they want to, or are hungry. Also read that they'll eat even if they're not hungry.

I just want to do the right thing and not starve our little friends.

M xxx

Neil C

Reaction score
Axolotls can take a few days before they feel settled in enough for them to feed although this is unusual. "The Tackle shop" fishing shop by the service station at the beginning of the Bruce highway sell good worms for axolotls. Just keep trying each day but move slowly and try not to stress it out each time you try and feed it.

Regards Neil

Machiavelli

Reaction score
Hi Neil,

I am so appreciative of your help and advice:happy:

We got some earthworms from the Tackle Shop. Neither of them are interested in the worms so far:(

However, both of them have devoured slivers of rib steak!

I guess the thing I'm most impressed with right now is that my son, 12yrs old, (who Ying and Yang 'belong' to), is being very patient when trying to entice them to eat.

I know that we'll eventually find the best road for us all to travel, I'm just concerned that we try our best and get as much advice as possible to make things right for the axolotls.

Thank you again for all your help. I appreciate your advice and patience.

Mach

Axolotls can take a few days before they feel settled in enough for them to feed although this is unusual. "The Tackle shop" fishing shop by the service station at the beginning of the Bruce highway sell good worms for axolotls. Just keep trying each day but move slowly and try not to stress it out each time you try and feed it.

Regards Neil

Machiavelli

Reaction score
Hi Neil,

Thought I'd let you know that both axolotls are now eating live earthworms :happy:

We're feeding them at the same time each evening.

I've read conflicting reports as to how often they should be fed. My eldest son feeds his every three days.

Others I've read about feed every day, twice a day, and one fed on Monday and Friday.

At the moment we're happy to feed once a day, and they're both very interested when he puts his hand into the tank and swim to him to see what he's got for them.

I suppose my next question is how do we get around our neighbours feeding them when we're away.

I don't think they'll have any problem handling the worms, (they fish so are used to handling live bait), but should we 'train' our axolotl to come to any hand (mine, husbands) in the days leading up to us going away so that they're not put off by someone strange feeding them when we're away?

I'm sorry to be a constant bother to you, but you seem to know what you're doing and I appreciate your advice.

Kind Regards,

Mach

Regards Neil

Neil C

Reaction score
Great news your Axolotls are eating the earthworms. How often you feed your axolotls is completely up to you but generally I feed them daily when they are juveniles and then once every few days when they are adult.

If you are going to put your hands in the tank to feed them make sure your hands are clean and free from any soaps/cleaning products etc. I prefer to use a bamboo skewer to feed them or long tweezers.

As for your neighbours feeding them while you are away, why not get them around to watch you feed them before you go away and then they'll know what to do and how your axolotls like to be fed?

You are more than welcome to PM me if you have any further questions/queries etc

Regards Neil

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!