Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: 5 day old babies, question about some "fluff type" stuff.

Axolotlmorphios

Reaction score
Hi all, very new here and only just got back into keeping Lotls after a fair amount of time. 5 days ago we had the eggs we got from another Caudata user hatch, at count, we have 3 wild and 6 gold and from close examination with the Macro on the camera, very nice markings on a wild that shines, probably our interpretation of what we see/want :D.
So each day I watch them either close up because I am fascinated with the behavior and checking whether they are eating, but also have a HD USB camera set up so I can stream the Lotls to my partner via Skype and also watch them while I'm upstairs.
Currently they are eating well on daphnia, growing nicely and will be introducing brine shrimp very soon. Just watching the little babies snapping at food is adorable (I remember my old ones from years ago, the big Lotls would take ago at a little finger) :happy:

Now my question after boring you all :yawn: is, I have found some what I can only describe as white fur or fluff on the electrical lead of the filter (fully submerged currently, going for another thursday, one that I remember using years ago that was great, not submerged) and also the fur is "growing" on the very top of the heater and its suckers. The heater may not be necessary, but my house is very poor at holding temperature, so the heater is there so they are not subject to rising and falling temperatures and kept at a perfectly held 19C. In the Lotls home, I have a few rounded stones and have made a bridge:wacko: for them to sit on, which they do even at this age. A couple of plants for hiding places and thats it. I have been using Nitridac bacteria culture to reduce ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and phosfate. Should I stop using the Nitridac? Is that whats causing the "furring"? :confused: Is there something I need to do immediately, possibly a small water change? Or is the "fur" something more serious?

On Thursday we will be going to the aquarium to get a few things including an old tank that is still very usable, just the aquarium are swapping out there old ones for new. Seeing they have over 400 tanks, not including the huge ones and random small ones with varying fish and aquatic life forms, it is a good place to pick up a few tanks. Well its 4.15am and time for bed after a quick close check of our babies. Thank you all for reading this, next time I will just put the question :errr::talker: LOL

melfly

Reaction score
Hiya

I believe these are my grandbabies :D

I personally would keep them in a small tub for the first few weeks just to make sure they are feeding well.
Not sure about the fur tho.....:( maybe keep them in a tub and give the tank a clean for now.

Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1