Appropriate hide shapes for axies

SapphireTigress

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know with African dwarf frogs, certain hide shapes are dangerous. If an axolotl goes in a hide, will it get stuck and not be able to go up for air? will they swim through and enjoy tubes? or should my hide shapes be simple under the bridge type shapes?

tubes make fantastic hides. as for them getting stuck, they are kinda clumsy but give them some credit! they don't have to go up for air, some do but it depends on the animal as they can breathe through their gills and skin too.

if you use tube, PVC pipe is great, just make sure you sand back any cut edges so they aren't sharp.

They will also go out of hides backwards if there isn't room to turn round (well, mine do anyway - they're always getting wedged headfirst down the side of the filters or decor, but they just wiggled out backwards) ;)
Obviously it's best to avoid hides that aren't big enough, but as far as I know, there aren't any particular shapes to avoid :happy:

awesome! thanks guys! i just know that with ADF's, they dont really get the whole concept of going down to get out to go up for air, and while i know axies use their gills and skin, ADF's use THEIR skin and yet they still drown when they cant get up for air....didnt want to drown my "Girl" by accident. I so want to see an axie swim backwards :D

i love the pot idea, but honesty i was asking because I figured out a bunch of ways to do a Super Mario theme in my tank and once i figure out how i want things, i wanted to make some "Warp Pipe" tunnels in my tank. Probably only one since my tank is a 10 gallon, but when i get a house i will be tricking out a HUUUUUGE tank, and wanted to make sure my future axies would be able to swim through the tunnels and be safe (aka not drown or get stuck).

If you make them complicated with twists and turns, they won't be safe. Keep them simple and open-ended or you risk them getting stuck and drowning.

oh yeah, they were just going to be straight. Mario pipes dont really curve much anyways. Not looking to get real fancy, just to make it fun, aka dont think hamster pipe maze, just think straight tunnels :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back