Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Temperature fluctuation

Ivyna J Spyder

Reaction score
I was wondering how much of a temperature fluctuation is safe? I read that it was most important to maintain a steady temp... I'd say that this time of year when it can get very warm in the afternoon but chilly at night, it can go up and down by 3-4 degrees (fahrenheit) throughout the day. Is that too much...?

Jenste

Reaction score
No, that is a normal fluctuation through out the day depending on how large your tank is. Larger volumes of water maintain their temperature better.

What is the temp at the low point and at the high point?

Ivyna J Spyder

Reaction score
Well it was going from 68-72... but I finally got some fans on em and now they're staying at a pretty stable 66 even when the room temp goes to 76. Effective! :D Hopefully it stays in that range.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1