Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axolotls not breeding?

nikkiboo

Reaction score
Hey there, i've just put my breeding pair of leucistic axolotls in the same tank. The temperature right now is 19 degrees and i understand that is a bit too warm for breeding but i'm waiting for the ice to settle in the fridge to cool the water down.
The female is 7 inches and the male is 8 inches. The male has a small cloaca but i'm 80% sure he's a male. My question is, how long does it normally take until they start mating? They're both sitting around in different corners of the tank and don't seem to have interest in each other yet.

Syllvie

Reaction score
Females sometimes take longer to mature than males. I think you should wait until they're a little larger before you try to breed them. If the female isn't completely matured, it can put a lot of strain on her to have to lay eggs. Remember that they lay a LOT of eggs. It's not easy for the female at all.

EDIT:
How old are they? It's advised to wait until they're at least 18 months of age to allow them both time to grow and reach maturity.

millerj76

Reaction score
One easy way to tell if they are ready for breeding is to check their 'toes', leucistic toes will have dark tips if they are ready, darker coloured axolotls toes get light tips

Last edited:

nikkiboo

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!
Sadly the shop doesn't know how old they are but i'm taking a good guess on a year old or a bit more. Yeah i realized it's better for the female to mature more but i was just wondering if it takes a while for new axies to mate. They don't have obvious dark toe tips although it's getting there it's light grayish now.
Also, i've been trying to offer them pellets but they don't seem interested :/ i have 3 other juvis and they all go crazy for the pellets but not the adults, is there a reason why?

Here's a picture of the cloacas, left (female) right (male.
axiesex.jpg

Syllvie

Reaction score
I don't really know how long it takes them to mate, but I know that if they're together, a lot of females lay eggs too young(at least, that's what I've read; I don't have personal experience yet).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!