Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is our axolotl ready to lay eggs?

mmaassoonn

Reaction score
I hope someone can help with a few questions i have about our second axie. We saved him back in January becuase we saw one of his feet was bitten off, along with his tail.

The good news is everything has grown back pretty much fully now. his tail was a lot quicker than his foot!

Now however....we are REALLY starting to question if he is male or female. We noticed the last couple of days that his belly has started to get rather big, and the area between his legs looks slightly different to our other male, (who looks like he just has a large set of balls there!). Tye however looks slightly smaller and not quite as prominant as Kip.

Yesterday i watched Kip swimming around Tye, doing something like i saw in a video...which was a mating dance.

would anyone be able to look at the picture and video to clear a few things up.

we would like to know if we should be looing out for little eggs any time soon, or if Tye has something else wrong with him/her?

Axolotl mating dance? - YouTube

As much as his belly looks strange, and we kind of think that he might be ill...he is still producing plenty of waste. so i dont think that might be the problem.
On that note though...when he does, it is always in a kind of ball/sack. and you can see food that hasnt been digested properly. He has done this ever since we got him. is this normal or not?

That is the video i have uploaded of Kip and Tye.

Hope someone can help us.

Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 284

KibosJ

Reaction score
Tye appears to be a lot less active than usual, staying in the same place for most of the day and every now and again swimming up to the top for a bit of air.

I have a horrible feeling he is not well, but the video of Kip and Tye is very odd, Kip is NEVER that active and quite often stays away from Tye.

If anyone has any input at all it would be great.

--EDIT-- As I've posted this Tye is moving about a bit more :p

Attachments

• IMG_20120326_180339.jpg
    IMG_20120326_180339.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 935
  • IMG_20120326_180358.jpg
    IMG_20120326_180358.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_20120326_180344.jpg
    IMG_20120326_180344.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 293

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It could be mating, but it's hard to tell, especially since they're eating.

Usually you find eggs within the next day or so after you see mating (if the female is receptive, and indeed a female).

KibosJ

Reaction score
It could be mating, but it's hard to tell, especially since they're eating.

Usually you find eggs within the next day or so after you see mating (if the female is receptive, and indeed a female).

Thanks :) Any ideas on whether you think it is female or not? We are really unsure, we are almost certain the albino is male, but not sure about the melanoid.

I can't say I have noticed any eggs yet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1