Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A question about newt eating habits

Gollum

Reaction score
I'll get straight to the point: do newts eat tadpoles (or frog eggs)? Following the winter chill, I've discovered both newts and mating toads in my small one-year-old pond and would hope that they can live together in peace.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, they do, but it´s very unlikely they´ll have an overly significant impact on anuran egg and tadpole numbers. Just let it play out, as they´ll tend towards an equilibrium.

Gollum

Reaction score
Thanks for your answers and link. the preamble to my question would be that a year ago I inadvertently brought some juvenile newts to my pond with some aquatic plants that I had bought. It was nice to see them grow - they ate all the mosquito larvae. Later, I introduced some tadpoles to the pond as I wanted to propagate frogs as a natural predator against the slugs in my vegetable garden. Unfortunately, the tadpoles disappeared and the newts got fatter. Then the newts disappeared. This could have been for many reasons but I suspect that the newts, having eaten everything in the pond, starved to death. I admit my ignorance of the habits of newts.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!