Tropical fish tanks

Spudss

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hello,

Recently joined the site and im already getting sucked into the world of newts and salamanders!!

Iv been keeping Tropical fish for years and i just thought id show ya some of my tanks iv had over the years.

Im sure lots of ya keep Tropical fish too?

Here is my current tank, tis home to a single paradise fish.
DSC04793.jpg

Some of my old setups..
DSC02923.jpg

_MG_6732.jpg

Fish002.jpg

Feel free to post your fish tanks if ya have any!

Very nice...I have a 155 gallon freshwater tank with the same 4 koi I've had for >18years.

Beautiful tanks! I am jealous of your Amazon sword in the last picture...a roque newt has broken all the leaves on mine with eggs which aren't even fertile :mad:

You're right, I think the fish deserve a little press as they led me into my hobby in the first place!

Here's my fish tank in all it's not-cleaned-out-yet-so-water-is-yellowish glory.

I have 3 angelfish, a pair of kribensis, four corydoras, 4 copper harlequin rasboras, 3 cardinal tetras, and an albino bristlenosed catfish (lovingly named f-ugly by my partner).

Attachments

• 2012-07-08 13.52.24.jpg
    2012-07-08 13.52.24.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 67,223
Old 180 litre tank I don't have any more:-

180NewLighting-60-700-600-80.jpg

Old 60 litre I don't have any more:-

106_0822.JPG

A 180 litre aquarium that I have since converted into a vivarium for poison dart frogs:-

LeakingLight.JPG

Our current aquarium before we moved house and I lost pretty much all of the plants (62 UK gallons + sump):-

DSCF3670-641-1024-1024-80.jpg

Ade

I've never kept any fish, apart from a betta splendens that only lived 4 days due to a very sudden fungus attack.
I got a filthy fish tank from cash generator not too long ago, and instantly decided it would be a nice upgrade for my paddle tail newts. So I got the whole tank spotless and moved them in.
I'm not going to keep any tropical fish (much as I'd love to), as the only room I can use is my room, and I don't want a tank heater raising the overall temperature of my room, I don't think Teddy, Imi and Rissi would be too pleased with me

spudss i have currently got a Siamese fighter is typical for them to be shy?

spudss i have currently got a Siamese fighter is typical for them to be shy?

I think that's right for quoting people?
Chris, it's not 'normal', but it's not 'abnormal'. I'd be interested in hearing about your tank to make sure that it's just the fishie's personality and not a worry. 2 gallons or larger, weak filter (but still filtered), if not heated, at least stable, clean water, etc...

I've had about 15 bettas over the years, lives ranging from 2 weeks to six years. I had a hobby made out of buying the sickest ones and healing them. For some I was successful, for others I was not, but so goes it. I like to think that they at least enjoyed their time being spoiled, if nothing else.

I've kept 3 larger tanks, a twenty, a thirty, and a forty, with various combinations of tiger barbs, gouramis, rainbow sharks (love them), freshwater angelfish, giant danios, zebra danios, cherry barbs, cory cats, yoyo loaches, way too many snails, tetras, faintailed tetras...

I'm volunteering at the Georgia Aquarium now to get my fix. We have whale sharks and manta rays and tiger sharks and all sorts of lovely things.

Oh man, fish!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back