Frozen or thawed food?

ambjoern

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Hello.

A very very very basic question from a beginner axolotl owner: if I feed my axie frozen food - can I give it to him frozen, or should it be thawed (correct english word?)?

When I feed my fish (in another tank, of course) i always put the frozen food in a mug of water for a while before I put it in the tank, but will that not be very messy if I do that in the axie tank, considering the food will scatter all over the tank before landing in the substrate?

Yes,"thawed" is the correct word. If you defrost a block of bloodworm in aquarium water , pour of the excess water and then place in the tank you will find that the blood worm will clump together rather than being scattered, as happens when you defrost a cube in the tank itself (or defrost in a cup and and pour straight in once defrosted without removing the water). This method also has the advantage of rinsing the bloodworm keeping your tank a bit cleaner.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back