Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Switching Food Types

gfsward

Reaction score
Ok, so my baby axies are starting to grow their back legs and still feeding on brine shrimp. I've tried feeding them salamander pellets and frozen bloodworms but they won't go after them. I'm wondering if they're still too young for that type of food or if I'm doing it wrong? What stage, or age, do they usually start switching away from brine shrimp.
Thanks to anyone who replies! :hat:

lea

Reaction score
I changes from BBS to frozen bloodworms and live blackworms when the babies had their back legs. I use to mix up some earthworms(cut small of course), bloodworms with some blackworms so it looked like everything was moving, then slowly added more bloodworm than blackworm. When they left me they would eat cut up earthworm, bloodworm and blackworms no problem.

zaria

Reaction score
We did something similar, weaning them off brine shrimp by adding both the brine shrimp and the bloodworms at the same time. The greedy ones would grab the bloodworms (more food!) :) Once it looked like everyone was comfortably eating bloodworms, we stopped the brine shrimp.

gfsward

Reaction score
that makes a lot of sense and sounds like it would work like a dream :)
thank you :)
Btw, Zaria, I'll be posting some pics soon of how the little guys you sent me are turning out :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1