Carbon Filtration in Breeding Tanks

Use of Carbon Filtration in caudate breeding tanks

• I use activated carbon pellets.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I use activated carbon impregnated filter media.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • I use a combination of pellets and impregnated pads.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I use carbon in breeding tanks.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • I only use carbon in rearing tanks.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I do not use carbon in breeding tanks, but I do in my other tanks.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • I do not use filters, carbon, or any other media in my breeding tanks

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Johnny, get out of the basement and go outside or something.

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Johnny O. Farnen
Please be honest here folks. This is for a preliminary "study" I am putting together while my other research projects are delayed for various reasons. Multiple responses are allowed.

This is POLL 3 of 3

In advance: Thank you for your responses.

PLEASE NOTE THIS POLL APPLIES TO ALL SPECIES AND KEEPERS!

Please participate in the other two polls if they apply to you too!

I haven't bred anything, but I use sponge filters. I was using an internal waterfall filter in one of my tanks, but the newt in it died. :(

What do you mean by breeding tanks? The tank were the adults breed and lay? Or the tank where the larvae are reared?

I don't use any sort of filters for any caudate tanks or fish tanks. I am curious to see how many people think Johnny should get out of his basement. Lol...

In most of my tanks, I use airlift filters that pull water through a gravel-filled compartment which has a layer of cobbles on top to prevent animals from ingesting the gravel. You can see how it works in this video:

banded newt setup (Ommatotriton ophryticus) - YouTube

I use sponge filters for fry tanks. I've never used carbon media.

I used to use carbon filters and sponge filters. I no longer use them in anything, only air bubblers and water changes. And bio-filters.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back