Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Holidays

Tillypup

Reaction score
Help plz my axies are about 3-4 inches long and just LOVE worms now
we are going away Good Friday and home Easter Monday
they will be home alone
I plan to feed them up on Thurs and Friday am and freeze 3 blocks of bloodworm in a larger block and drop in just b4 we leave opinions plz
sadly cant ask next door to look after as she killed her gold fish after 2weeks !

JayFaye

Reaction score
Re: Holidys

So only for 3 days? Unfortunately I never had my axolotl when he was that length, but he's 6 inches now and I've gone that long without feeding him and he was fine! I've also heard stories of them going as long as a month (although I'm sure it's not recommended! Especially with ones at that length). But I feel like they would be completely fine.
I don't feel like a large bloodworm block would do much though. When I feed mine, the block melts very quickly. So within a short amount of time I feel all they would have is random scatterings of small worms everywhere! Not to mention that bloodworms left in a tank have the potential to really mess up the water.

Tillypup

Reaction score

cheers
will have to re think dont want them to starve or eat each other

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score

Feed them 2 days before you leave. Do a big (20%ish) water change the day before you leave, and check for poop the morning you leave. 3 days is not long to go without food. I've successfully left adults for 10 days without food, and once left a bunch of larvae that long, but they were kept pretty cold (less than 10c).

Do not leave food in the tank. It will foul the water and poison your animals.

Tillypup

Reaction score
thanks for that so basically let them stuff their little happy faces for a couple of days

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1