New Axie Tank

Hayden

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Hayden
I found this on sale at Pier 1 and thought it'd make an awesome tank for my baby axie.
I was right. :D

photo-18.jpg

This is not really all that suitable for a young axie.

Too small, the axie will be stunted in this tank.
Small stones, will trap waste and food and run the risk of impaction in the future.
Very small floor space - axolotls need a large floor plan.
No filtration - bamboo often dies when submerged this much and will not do much to filtrate this tank.

It's not a permanent tank, it will hold him for a month at most before I move him into one of my larger axolotl set up. Additionally, animals don't actually grow to the size of their environment, so as long as he is fed and cared for properly he will grow normally. As for the size of the tank now, it's roughly 16 square inches which is more than adequate for an axie his size (you can actually see his tail poking out from behind the left side of the bamboo). The stones are all larger than he is, and are in fact the large river stones I use in my adult axolotl environment. They are too big for my 12 inch adults to eat, so I can say with confidence this baby will not be able to ingest them. As for cleaning and filtration, I do twice weekly water exchanges and test nitrites, nitrates, pH and ammonia daily, so I am also not concerned about his water quality. I appreciate your concern, however and I'm glad that you asked these questions. I should have included the dimensions and such in the first post just in case anyone tried to duplicate it.

How do you intend to get your axie out when it's time to move him to a new tank? If any of mine are to go by, they grow at the rate of knots. He doesn't have anywhere to hide or swim.

Isn't 16 square inches 4x4 inches? Way to small! He already looks to be the same size as one of the sides.

Nice set up. For a temporary home it's completely fine. I like the drain option very cool. Should be no problem getting rid of accumulated waste within the rocks with that drain. At this point and time the rocks are no threat. If the bamboo doesn't work out for you just use another kind of aquatic plant.

Some breeders only keep their Axolotls in 1 gallon tubs their whole lives and they get huge. I wouldn't worry about stunted growth especially since its a temporary home.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back