Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White "sperm" from female?

axolotlfreak56

Reaction score
As the topic says. I noticed my female has what looks to be "sperm" coming out of her cloaca. I can take a picture and post it later. The thing is, she's laid eggs before but I've never seen her do this. Is it just her letting out unused sperm..or...I honestly have no idea idea but it looks like sperm. And its definitely not a male, my male is a wild type and the female is a luesistic type, and again, she's laid eggs before. I've watched her lay before as well and I haven't seen this before. Can anyone tell me what's going on. Is there any reason for concern?

axolotlfreak56

Reaction score
Not be rude, but 20 views and no one knows what this is? Honestly, I really would appreciate an answer. And since I may have reason for concern, if this must be moved to the "sick" section, then please do so. I really hope she's ok. She's eating normally and moving fine. She doesn't look stressed either.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
If you could post a picture, it would help enormously. Do you have a male in the tank with her now, and when did she lay eggs last?

nikkiboo

Reaction score
Sorry i'm no expert but maybe she was in the process of picking up a sperm?

Yeah i understand...it's frustrating to see that sometimes people don't care to help after viewing your forums.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Yeah i understand...it's frustrating to see that sometimes people don't care to help after viewing your forums.

Or possibly they do not know the reason and choose not to post the fact that they have no idea, thus saving the original poster the bother from wading through a pile of unhelpful posts.
For example: I have no idea what the problem is, hope someone on this site does !
Would twenty posts like this have made any difference?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score

It may be that the people that read the post hadn't got an answer. I read most of the posts on here, but if I can't respond, I won't... I am sure I am not alone.

Jenste

Reaction score
also....every time YOU view your own post, it counts as a view.

But I agree....your female had probably picked up a male's sperm recently and it all hadn't....gone...in....so to speak.

axolotlfreak56

Reaction score
I'll post the picture, had a few things to do yesterday. She's doing it again too...and I'm leaning towards it not being sperm :( I think there's something wrong. I'll get the picture up soon.

axolotlfreak56

Reaction score
Having trouble getting the picture to my computer. But the best way I can describe it is that it almost looks like a spermetaphore but its not (obviously). Its a little bigger than the spermetaphores and is a little bit more dull looking. I hope she's ok...and at this point maybe its best this topic gets moved to the sick section. I'm really starting to worry. She doesn't look stressed at all. She's eating and behaving as she always does. Her tail isn't curled and her gills are fine. The last time she laid was about a month ago as well. That's the best info I can give until I can get the picture up.

axolotlfreak56

Reaction score
Finally got the picture uploaded. So can someone finally tell me what's going on with baby? Ok well she's not a baby, but she's still my baby :(
Its the white stuff on the plant...

Attachments

• white.jpg
    white.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,799

nikkiboo

Reaction score
Hmm sperms don't normally stick to the plants :confused: I don't know if this is the same case but i once had live plants in my tank and the plants started to mold, some weird white stuff began to grow on it and it kinda stuck onto my axie, not sure if this is the same case though.

axolotlfreak56

Reaction score
Hmm sperms don't normally stick to the plants :confused: I don't know if this is the same case but i once had live plants in my tank and the plants started to mold, some weird white stuff began to grow on it and it kinda stuck onto my axie, not sure if this is the same case though.

Far from fungus on the plants. As I had said earlier, it was coming from her cloaca and not just once.

SapphireTigress

Reaction score
i've looked at this thread, and as i'm new to axies and never heard of this, cant help you. But hey, i left a comment :D

I've never seen an example of this anywhere else though, sounds like a tough one.

Neil C

Reaction score
My guess would be that it's the membrane/mucus that axolotl use to wrap up there "waste"? I'm surprised it's so thick though as it's usually very thin. I wouldn't worry about it too much if your axolotl remain healthy and is eating normally.

Regards Neil

axolotlfreak56

Reaction score
Ok, well I took another look at it and when I got home from a hiking trip my male had been struck by this stuff. And I'm now leaning on it being fungus. I didn't think it was fungus before because it looked nothing like the fungus that I kept seeing while doing my research on this issue. However, the male had it all over his gills and its all over the tank now. I managed to get it off his gills although, now their gills have shrunk a considerable amount. They're carrying on as if nothing has happened though, so maybe thats a good sign but they're not out of the woods yet. Its also possible that this stuff had just happened to be stuck on the cloaca when I saw it those few times. But its all over the plants and the sand. Both axolotls are safely out of the tank though.
And also, @Julia, I'm feeding the salmon pellets. I've had these guys on pellets since I bought them on August 6th and just now I'm having this issue. That said, it must be fungus. I can't think of a more logical explanation than this now. I'm also hoping my much smaller golden albino is ok as well. He/she looks perfectly fine. Still too early to tell its sex. The two bigger axies don't bother my goldy at all and they all gladly do their axy thing with each other. So if anyone was wonder how small it is from that statement, don't worry. Can't be eaten, but caution was taken before hand anyway. Either way they all get along so that's not the point of the topic. Regardless, my goldy looks fine but I'll probably give it a salt bath for safe measure.

axolotlfreak56

Reaction score
Update: Ok I've given my 2 adults salt baths. I noticed what I want to say looks like peeling skin. However, its not hanging off their bodies. I saw the other topics about this and each one said the skin was peeling from the bodies. This isn't the case...unless it is skin... The "skin", as I'll call it, is small and thin and is floating all around in the water after the salt bath. I thought to myself that it can't all be fungus because it wasn't there before the bath. I did a water change and more of the "skin" is still floating everywhere. What's going on? :( I thought the bath was suppose to help solve the issue, not make it worse...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1