Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Huge swollen leg

Technonbubbles

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am a new member, although I have used this forum for valuable advice in the past.
We have older Axylotyl and have recently purchased a younger one, only a few months old.
He was very skinny when we got him, but has been eating really well and thriving. The tank mates have been closely monotered and got on really well.
All of a sudden our young Axy's front leg swelled from the elbow down.
No visible trauma. Not visible wound/infection.
I seperated him, but it continued to swell. He has been fridged for 3 days now...very little improvement.
I am so concerned for him, dont want him in any pain.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    307.9 KB · Views: 1,744
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    353.1 KB · Views: 950

Technonbubbles

Reaction score
PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP???

He is still in the fridge with NO improvement.
I don't know what to do??
Does anyone know what could be wrong??:confused::confused::confused:

ACEPHONECHIC

Reaction score
not an expert but have vast creature experience and usually a swelling of a limb out indicate trauma to it in some way. perhaps the tank mate tried to suck it in when eating something. Axies do not seem to have good eyesight and think often what moves is food.
My golden one lost a foot by being sucked in i guess. Do you have any kind of objects in the tank that it could have knocked the leg on.

first is it eating ok, if something eats it is usually not in a lot of pain. Nature will often cause the swelling to protect, you say you cannot see any marks.
come on experts offer some advice to this very worried owner.

Chirple

Reaction score
I'm sorry I can't help. I can only offer that in my other animals, a swollen limb would be a sign of likely bone breakage - but I don't know if that's the case here, because I'm sure there are other potential causes.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP???

He is still in the fridge with NO improvement.
I don't know what to do??
Does anyone know what could be wrong??:confused::confused::confused:

Classic case of edema. Possible vectors are too numerous to list.

Nothing you can do. Stop worrying and don't panic. It really is no big deal. If it is a bad ju-ju type situation, the leg will "fall off" and the axolotl will grow a new one. Fridging really will not help.

If you still have fears, The Axolotl Sanctuary site has a database of Aussie Axolotl vets (a luxury the rest of us don't have.);)

Technonbubbles

Reaction score
Thanks everyone.
He is back in his tank tonight and has eaten x1 earthworm. I will have to see how he goes.
I am a little worried though as I have never seen him this agitated. He is swimming back and forth up and down and bumping his head Into the glass. Won't stay still. Very strange.
I am off to see if there is any posts/advice on this.
I will keep you posted on his leg.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!