The ammonia goes up so fast!

Ivyna J Spyder

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have my axolotls in separate shoebox tubs. I change the water daily, a little while after feeding since that tends to cloud the water.

However I've found that even with daily changes, I can get ammonia readings of 0.50 ppm within half a day. My water PH is also very high which I read can make ammonia more toxic. They seem okay but I worry about long term effects.

Maybe I could put tiny sponge filters in each tub? Do they even make sponge filters that tiny?

Eventually they'll be in a big, nicely cycled 40 gallon but they still need to grow quite a bit!

heya, when i used to keep fish i used those little moss ball things you can buy from ebay...they quite good at sorting out ammonia probs xx

I have my axolotls in separate shoebox tubs. I change the water daily, a little while after feeding since that tends to cloud the water.

However I've found that even with daily changes, I can get ammonia readings of 0.50 ppm within half a day. My water PH is also very high which I read can make ammonia more toxic. They seem okay but I worry about long term effects.

Maybe I could put tiny sponge filters in each tub? Do they even make sponge filters that tiny?

Eventually they'll be in a big, nicely cycled 40 gallon but they still need to grow quite a bit!

Are you using tap water?

Is it municipal water?

Are you using aeration?

What water conditioner do you use?

How often do you feed (and what do you feed)?

Is the turkey baster your best friend?

How long do you let the water settle from the tap "settle" before doing the change?

Answer all these questions and we can help you properly.

Please note that ammonia is alkaline on standard tests, and there fore nullifies the accuracy of your pH testing. Sponge filters will not solve your issue at all as the water volume is too small and the changes are too frequent. the tubs will never establish a proper nitrogen cycle.

Also have a go at the forum rules on posting.

Let's see then.

Are you using tap water?

Yep.

Is it municipal water?

Far as I know? It's not well water or anythin

Are you using aeration?

There are fans pointing down at the water to cool it, which creates a bit of surface disturbance.

What water conditioner do you use?

Repti-Safe

How often do you feed (and what do you feed)?

Once a day, pellets and bloodworms. The water is changed right after.

Is the turkey baster your best friend?

Yep, I suction out any gunk as I see it.

How long do you let the water settle from the tap "settle" before doing the change?

A few minutes for the conditioner to work.

Please note that ammonia is alkaline on standard tests, and there fore nullifies the accuracy of your pH testing. Sponge filters will not solve your issue at all as the water volume is too small and the changes are too frequent. the tubs will never establish a proper nitrogen cycle.

When I test plain, fresh tap water, the ammonia is 0 and the PH is high.

And I read the rules, didn't notice anything I was breaking. I did a search before asking, but no one was having quite this same issue. (All related to cycling larger tanks)

I'll look into a moss ball, and a way to provide light for them without overwhelming the axxies or heating the water too much. :)

You're getting high ammonia because the fans are causing evaporation, which concentrates everything in the water, including ammonia.

Simple solutions: A.) do more water changes, or B.) use bigger tubs [higher water volume]

Well I increased water volume (3 gallons from 1) and it has not helped at all :( The ammonia is doing the exact same thing.

I am really at a loss here. Don't all the axolotl research labs keep them in small tubs and change daily? How do they deal with it?

What kind of test kit are you using? Have you tested your tap water for a baseline reading? Test it after you've added the dechlorinator, rather than straight out the tap. If your water company uses chloramines to chlorinate the water, and you're using a dechlorinating agent, that ammonia is left in your water. It can compound with the water from your animals.

The best way to deal with that is to have a fully cycled tank, which is capable of handling the ammonia. Or you can use bottled water.

If you're eventually going to put them in a 40 gal, what's holding you back from doing it now?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back