Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Fairy Shrimp as Food?

gfsward

Reaction score
I was looking for some live food for my little axies and stumbled upon some fairy shrimp eggs. I was just wondering if they would be ok to feed to the axies as apposed to brine shrimp bbs?

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I was looking for some live food for my little axies and stumbled upon some fairy shrimp eggs. I was just wondering if they would be ok to feed to the axies as apposed to brine shrimp bbs?
I culture over a half dozen species of fairy and tadpole shrimp as an additional hobby.

They are just fine to feed to amphibians however keep in mind the following:

The adults of some species WILL eat larvae.
They are much more difficult to culture.
They take much longer to culture.
The yield percentages are comparably low.
The amount needed to use as rear a staple requires significantly more resources.
The start up cost is obscene when compared to artemia.
Most fairy shrimp suppliers wild harvest and thus run a significantly higher risk of including contagious vectors and unwanted pests to your pets as they inhabit the same vernal pools in the wild.

Don Dasis (dadasis on eBay) is the best supplier I have found AND none of his stock is wild harvested.

Arizona Fairy shrimp is also pretty good, but they specialize in desert species and these are just as difficult as midwestern species and have drastically different culture requirements.

Triops make a nice occasional snack for adults, especially ambystomidae, but again take longer to culture and are very risky to small larvae as they will eat any and everything.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1