Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axolotls biting

PandaHuggaz

Reaction score
I know that axolotls can be cannabalistic if they have been kept together when young, but my axolotls are just starting to nip at each other now when they are a couple of months over being a year old. I took the tank divider out a couple of months ago and I make sure that they are well fed so I don't know what's wrong. The first time that I noticed a change in their behavior was a couple of weeks ago when they came back from my mom's house when she had to baby sit them for me.

When they came back, their frills were only 6 long stick like things off the top of their head because ammonia burned them off. T^T So, Krakken must've gotten hungry with my mom feeding him n such, and mistaken Cthulu's frill-les frill as a worm.

So after that event, Krakken and Cthulu have been snappy at each other. Is it possible for them to form cannabalistic tendencies still?

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
No such thing as "cannibalistic tendencies".

Ambystomids are gape limited predators of opportunity. That means they will try to eat anything that moves, and many things that don't move. if conspecific nibbling is an issue for you either keep each specimen separately (full-proof) or adjust your feeding schedule and water temperature so the little dudes are not so hungry.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
I agree with Johnny feeding them more can help stop this. You could also put them in a larger tank for more tank space. Remember tank height is not important. It's length and width.:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1