Please help :-(

pestey

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Pestey
One of my axo's is not taking to it's food, he's gulping air and his butt wants to float to the surface.

the other two are ok and no worries from them. the first thing that came to mind was a possible case of swim bladder. only thinking this because of my Cichlid background.

normally i would not worry to much, but as this is a whole new venture for me and my fiancée, i'm bricking it!

First and foremost, read the forum rules on posting.

Next read the axolotl site and Caudata Culture articles. then use the forum search function. A bit of effort on your part will eliminate the need to wait for someone to give you answers to FAQs.

@ SludgeMonkey....thats all well and good, but sometimes this search function on this forum does NOT work. Just saying. Also if you are a newbie, like i am and this person appears to be, giving us some actual search criteria that WORK in this search bar could be helpful. I know that it weeds out the word axolotl a lot of times, and some of the queries i just dont know the names of.

If you searched for 'butt floating', you'd find a thousand threads that say your axolotl is probably constipated and you should put it in the fridge, and at least two that say axolotls don't have swim bladders.

That being said, your axolotl is constipated, put it in the fridge. What kind of food are you feeding it?

lol i sure didnt know that "butt floating" would turn up anything in a search. So thank you!

lol "butt"

all seems to be fine and dandy now lol, been feeding them on a variety of wax worms, meal worms and axo pellets, guessing i gave them all a good stuffing and that particular one got a bit constipated.

I'm going to try and get a load of earth worms to tickle their taste buds :)

Your culprit is probably mealworms. They're hard to digest and often cause floating or impaction. Get rid of them and instead feed mostly earthworms and pellets, with waxworms as a treat.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back