Question: Need some advise please :)

Emmalouise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 8 axolotl in a container together, some are starting to grow there front leggs. My question is: is it now the time to separate them as I don't want them to start biting each other. Also what food can I feed them now they are 18 days old after hadtching?

Now.

At that size, I prefer daphnia and blackworms, but what you feed is really a preference.

I just received some baby axies that are 6 weeks old and have started eating bloodworm but chopped up so it's small. I think once they have front legs they can hunt by smell as well as sight so any dead or live food is fine as long as it's big enough..

This is the second time in two weeks that i have gone to harvest bbs and nothing has hatched. Its really random and not sure what happens. Well normaly i get something this time i have nothing(maybe faulty eggs? Hope not!) and so me being desperate i chopped up bloodworms as small as i can and fed them to my babies and they attempt to eat it! Some pieces for some of the babies were still to big but its the best i can do for now and they are willingly eating them no problem. Mine are 14days. I wish i could get something other them frozen food and bbs eggs here(ive checked online black/white worms are cheap but its 40+$ to ship to here! Not worth it) at that age as long as its small enough to get swallowed whole they should eat it

This is the second time in two weeks that i have gone to harvest bbs and nothing has hatched. Its really random and not sure what happens. Well normaly i get something this time i have nothing(maybe faulty eggs? Hope not!) and so me being desperate i chopped up bloodworms as small as i can and fed them to my babies and they attempt to eat it! Some pieces for some of the babies were still to big but its the best i can do for now and they are willingly eating them no problem. Mine are 14days. I wish i could get something other them frozen food and bbs eggs here(ive checked online black/white worms are cheap but its 40+$ to ship to here! Not worth it) at that age as long as its small enough to get swallowed whole they should eat it

I think the postage is worth it if those blackworms are cheap. I love blackworms, the water stays cleaner too. Bloodworms frustrate me.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back