Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Veins/Spots

PandaHuggaz

Reaction score
I have a GFP axolotl that I have named Cthulu. I've become worried because her tail is starting to become looking all vainy like. She is also starting to have spots appear on her body that remind me of chicken pocks. She has a tank mate named Krakken, but he's a melanoid, so I do not see anything similar happen with him. I'm guessing that this is some sort of medical issue? I watch my nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, ph levels, chlorine, and temperature like a hawk. And I DO put tetra brand chemical things in to make the water have the best specs I can. Is it possible that the issue is what i'm putting in?

Jenste

Reaction score
Re: Vains/Spots

What are your readings and what chemicals do you add?

PandaHuggaz

Reaction score

Jenste: I just went on spring break, so I don't have any of my reading equipment since I had to take them with me. But the different chemical things I use are Tetra's Easy Balance with Nitraban, Tetra's Safe Start, and I also have Tetra's Algae Control (even though I haven't used that in a long while). I also use Ammonia pads with my filter because they eat and poop a lot.

Chirple: This seems EXACTLY what my GFP is going through. When you go to the vet, i would LOVE to hear about what the s/he says!

The only difference is that my GFP's tail was a little darker at first, but it has recently gotten very vainy. The vainy-ness MIGHT be because she's a GFP and has see-through skin kinda deal anyway.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score

I would ditch all those chemicals. All you really need is a dechlorinator. Everything else will cause you more headache in the long-run. Cycling your tank is the best way to go.

Chirple

Reaction score
Hi there !

Went to the vet, and the spots on mine check out as normal. The vet said they were clusters of blood vessels leading to sensory organs, and that she's probably all-round more active due to mating season/reproductive maturity (kind of like when they're active eating and their gills get brighter).

Not sure about the tail veins. If you can get a picture, someone should be able to help determine if it's normal. :)

You can certainly see veins in my axolotl's tail, so hopefully it is the same thing - just more active with light-colour skin.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1