Question: Ideal Turnover Rate

Varrick

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I've got a new aquarium for my axie's today that is 112 litres/29.58 gallons. It came with a 1000 l/h filter, and I still have a 200 l/h filter from my old aquarium. So I have to decide which one to choose.

Which leads to my question: what is the ideal turnover rate? I see a lot of post talkes about a minimum turnover rate of around 5 times, and I have seen posts about over-filtration which said that 25 is to high.

So which turnover rate is better, around 2 times per hour, or 9 times? This includes a 16 or 30 inch spray bar.

The amount of biological filtration is more important than the gallons per hour.

The amount of biological filtration is more important than the gallons per hour.

How would I how good my biological filtration is and how my filter influences this? I still have to choose between those two filters.

Well axolotls do not like excessive flow in their tanks. What are the two filter's you are looking at, and what size tank do you have?

Last edited by a moderator:
Code:
well axolotls do not like excessive flow in their tanks. what are the two filter's you are looking at, and what size tank do you have?

The size is 80x35x40 cm. As I said I can reduce the flow a lot because I have very long spray bars.

You might get better advice if you post the brands and models of the filters you are considering. Some people may know some specific pros and cons of those filters.

In general, I choose filters with lower flow rates (or slightly undersized) for caudate tanks.

well the magic jet filter is basically a sponge filter. I used that one on my tanks, and it was acceptable but provided no mechanical filtration. I'm not familiar with the aqua flow, so I'm not sure if it provides mechanical filtration or not. I'd choose whichever one provides the type of filtration you are looking for. What size is your tank?

The size is 80x35x40 cm. As I said I can reduce the flow a lot because I have very long spray bars.

Both filters are of the same type: internal filters with sponges. I have no intention of buying an external filter soon, so right now one of these has to do.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back